Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1365.JPG This is my first find with my new Detector in Aug of this year. I found this on a very old grown over Riverbed on a remote lake in Ontario Canada. The Curator of the local Museum say's that it's an Archaic Copper Culture Spearhead dated around 3000BC. I still can't believe this is the first thing I've ever found and in the first ten minutes of detecting.

Upvote 10
OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Mean pristine as in not banged up or bent as is the case with most Copper Culture Artifacts are. Put "Copper Culture Spearhead" in Google Images and see if one in better condition that is as old as mine pops up. It won't

OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was the only thing I found that day. The silver nugget was found on a beach across the lake about a mile away.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!!! My first find was a rusty old door latch....guess you're going back to where you found that?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Mean pristine as in not banged up or bent as is the case with most Copper Culture Artifacts are. Put "Copper Culture Spearhead" in Google Images and see if one in better condition that is as old as mine pops up. It won't
Archaic Copper spear head - Google Search
What are you on about, found quite a few in better condition. Then add on those that are in books only & Museums, in private collections & not on the internet & you have the real picture.
Look I never bash anyones great find, equally I research hard enough that when I get one I give the facts. When you get a 'pristine' one you will know about it because you will have this one to compare it to.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was much more interested in its history/culture & expert diagnosis on date range. Because this may re-write the history of the area that you found it (very important). The studing & recording of this (assuming they don't take it off you?) is far more interesting to me than the condition. It is 1000years older than Dad & I's oldest find & deserves much praise. Its more than worthy of further investigation without embellishment with accurate descriptions.

Please update us all if you find out anymore?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I realize the gravity of my find and have been in contact with a retired curator of a Copper Culture Museum in the US. The Artifact's discovery location will be documented in what I have been told will be the most complete work on the subject ever assembled. Your right about re-writing the local history as there have been no Artifacts ever found (that have been reported) in the area of my discovery. I agree with you 110% on the history and the proper documentation as I have no intentions of selling it or want any publicity for myself in any way. I know what you are saying about the whole "pristine" thing and I realize what your saying is true. I was kind of going on all of the photos of every web site I viewed on-line and the 2 Museums visited since I finding this. I also have not seen the tang and notched base combination that this Spearhead has during my research (bronze age never happened in Ontario) of the subject. This experience has changed my life. I now have a renewed interest in ancient history as well as an obvious new addiction in metal detecting. I also have learned a great deal more about the history of my local Native heritage. Being an Aboriginal person of the area everyone can be assured that this find will not be exploited in any way. If I happen to find anything else during my bush walks they will also be properly documented, studied, and maybe donated to the right Museum. I also have made the moral decision that if I happen to find an obvious site of sorts (now that I have learned on-line what to look for) I won't be the one doing the digging the archaeologists will.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize the gravity of my find and have been in contact with a retired curator of a Copper Culture Museum in the US. The Artifact's discovery location will be documented in what I have been told will be the most complete work on the subject ever assembled. Your right about re-writing the local history as there have been no Artifacts ever found (that have been reported) in the area of my discovery. I agree with you 110% on the history and the proper documentation as I have no intentions of selling it or want any publicity for myself in any way. I know what you are saying about the whole "pristine" thing and I realize what your saying is true. I was kind of going on all of the photos of every web site I viewed on-line and the 2 Museums visited since I finding this. I also have not seen the tang and notched base combination that this Spearhead has during my research (bronze age never happened in Ontario) of the subject. This experience has changed my life. I now have a renewed interest in ancient history as well as an obvious new addiction in metal detecting. I also have learned a great deal more about the history of my local Native heritage. Being an Aboriginal person of the area everyone can be assured that this find will not be exploited in any way. If I happen to find anything else during my bush walks they will also be properly documented, studied, and maybe donated to the right Museum. I also have made the moral decision that if I happen to find an obvious site of sorts (now that I have learned on-line what to look for) I won't be the one doing the digging the archaeologists will.

My bronze age example, was just a point that they can survive thousands of years in great condition, that was all.

What you just said was great & should have been part of your first post because it's the most important element of your find. So big CONGRATS for doing the right thing, & had this not been a very early find on Tnet (banner rules) you would have had a banner find all the way.

Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the encouragement and I didn't realize the historical importance of my find until after my original post. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks to everyone for you kind words and expertise on the subject it has been much appreciated.

Chris

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the encouragement and I didn't realize the historical importance of my find until after my original post. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks to everyone for you kind words and expertise on the subject it has been much appreciated.

Chris

OK, sorry, I was a little tough on you (although I'm the same with everyone on here, so nothing personal) & should have given you a little more slack as a newbie.
The main thing is you found something that changes what 'they'/'we' thought happen in your area many years ago. You didn't hide it, try & make money from it, so you off to the best start you could ever hope for. In fact you may as well give up, because you may search all your life & never do better.:laughing7:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That is an awesome first find. Probably the find of a lifetime. You did great. I would definitely go back & rescan that area to see if there is any thing else of this magnitude/time period. I would also take lots of pictures too. Again, awesome job on the find of a lifetime.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to get much older than that in metal finds anywhere in the world, congrats! HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions