May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went yesterday way back in the hills to an old cellar hole the wife and I had dug out last year to try and find any more decent places like that. Wasn't able to find any more obvious spot like that one, but while walking through a few valleys I came across a decently cleared area with a few old warped apple trees about. I usually have decent luck with those so I went with the gut and started working around them for a bit. First hit was a nice 1910 wheatie that I scored right across the surface (!@##!@$!) It's hard to see in the pic, but except for some edge disintegration it's actually pretty well detailed. 1910 wheat.JPG

I then worked around a few other ones with no luck except a stray nail or piece of horseshoe till I got a sweet sound and pulled a nice pewter spoon bowl. That definitely got me ready and even a bit excited on what could actually be in that little clearing. I then went a bit farther away from the trees and started getting huge iron hits with a few decent sounds and at the first nice stable hit I got what i think is harmonica reeds.Also first time finding that for me. pewter spoon.JPG

Well needless to say that made me slow down a bit and work a few more iffy signals and turned up all these goodies. It's hard to see on the watch case pic, but there's a nice design of a bird surrounded by flowers. heart and earring.JPG pocket watch case.JPG

Its a shame I hadn't brought my smaller coil with me. I'm figuring on a lot more nice stuff coming from there later on, kinda thinking it could be a forgotten home spot or maybe just a junk spot, but there was also some broken glazed pottery shards turning up here and there while I dug hits. double axe.JPG horse shoes.JPG iron tool.JPG

Hehe, and as a last note, on my way back to my vehicle I seen something extremely rare. Two painted box turtles..erhmm mating. Ya. That'll make you stop in your tracks. Really wish I carried a camera out in the field for that kinda instance. Well have fun and HH.

Upvote 0

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice old finds!! I like the double edged axe head to!!!

WilliamH

Dec 20, 2012
That's looking like a real nice place to hunt. And on too of that, no pun intended, turtles riding piggyback. Must have gotten tired. HH. WH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread