First finds this week with V3i.... can you tell what type of button this is?

jaymanj

Mar 5, 2015
Huntsville, AL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, XP Deus, XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very excited as I found my first button this week.:hello2: I used guidance from the site on cleaning it up with some naval jelly. Before it was cleaned you could not see anything but black tarnish. Anyhow, can anyone help me identify this button? It looks like a wreath at the bottom (like a wheat penny) and it has what looks like a column coming up from the bottom of where the two sides join. I have posted pictures below. It is about 3/4" in diameter.

These were dug in a farm field in Fredericskburg, VA. I have found a 1857 penny and a few fired bullets there previously. The soil in this location was really rough on the penny. You could barely tell what it was until it was cleaned.

Attachments

• DSCN1452.JPG
    DSCN1452.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN1453.JPG
    DSCN1453.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN1454.JPG
    DSCN1454.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 141
  • button_back.jpg
    button_back.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 6

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early 1800s Scottish Militia Button, its a Thistle

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Kansas button to me. But hard to see on this phone. Congrats! HH!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can read the back mark it will help narrow it down if it is foreign made and imported or made by a US company.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good ole Fredericksburg I used to live on Ashby street off of Lafayette blvrd . Wonder whats on your button and Fredericksburg has a lot of sites if you can get permission to hunt them .vanzutphen

OP
OP
J

jaymanj

Mar 5, 2015
Huntsville, AL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can read the back mark it will help narrow it down if it is foreign made and imported or made by a US company.

Thank you all for the replies! Nothing readable on the back at all. I have it cleaned and it does not look to have any text.

OP
OP
J

jaymanj

Mar 5, 2015
Huntsville, AL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It certainly does look like a thistle. I have been googling images and looks like it could be a thistle. I wish I could find an exemplar to compare it to. Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
J

jaymanj

Mar 5, 2015
Huntsville, AL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ole Fredericksburg I used to live on Ashby street off of Lafayette blvrd . Wonder whats on your button and Fredericksburg has a lot of sites if you can get permission to hunt them .vanzutphen

Yes, getting permission is the thing. Many people get worn out here, but I have had a bit of luck with an area close to my house. It is about 2 miles away and it makes it easy to drag out the detector and see what I can find. Lots of development happening though, so spots are disappearing. I went in person to an area near a confederate camp where land was being cleared for new home construction. I was promptly turned down after they "ran it by managment."...go figure. But I will enjoy the spots I can find while they are here.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fox

Greenie
Aug 19, 2011
Williamsburg VA
Detector(s) used
V3I
Garrett At Pro
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see another member from Virginia I am located in Newport News VA

Nice find I hope to get digging soon

Fox

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey I was born in good ole Loudoun county va , home of the greedy! Had to abandon ship and moved to md thought the taxes where lower boy were we wrong cant afford any thing here either any more to busy paying for bs we don't need in this abandoned train town.This town Brunswick md dropped dead in the late 20s- 30s and now nothing but empty store sites and a lot of false promises everything anymore is run by crooked politicians and greedy sob.Back in the 70s when I grew in leesburg va there where farm lands everywhere damn they disappeared in 30 years taking the remnants of fort evans with the new subdivision and the trenches to go with it . Im surprised that Balls Bluff battlefield didn't go when they were excavating . Its funny how some sites that may have a little civil war activity is off limits to detectors but you let some corp with money come in and they can wipe a site off the maps with no fault at all. I also went to a site that had civil war activity and asked the super and he said nobody was allowed to hunt the site and if any one does he would lock them up . I told him well some of his guys I had noticed where hunting and detecting and he went nuts by saying that I was calling him a liar and then told me it was none of my business and to take my ass packing before he called the law . Dag gone all I was doing was making a point and he knew he was lying that's why he got so defensive.Yep big money can do what they want,vanzutphen

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jaymanj

Mar 5, 2015
Huntsville, AL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not French the concaved reverse & the 2 inner lines are consistant with British/Scottish made buttons.

Thanks, Crusader! Much appreciated.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest: