First Finds

D

dredger

Just got my new detector today and put it togather, didn't read the instructions
or watch the video that came with it. Used the factory settings and didn't ground
balance it ond off I went! Found a lot of nails, wire,fence staples, pop tops. Found
one penny and a silver plated spoon, I think this thing will pay for it's self in no time!!!
After gearing down, I read the instruction and watched the video I should have
watched first! I was picking up everything that had any metal contient. Now I think
I will be able to do a little better next time out, just goes to shownwhat going off half-
cocked can do. I was all fun although trash was all I found, that's what it's all about
anyway!!!

Dredger

Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, we all dig plenty of trash. And like you I'd rather not bother reading the instructions. Hummm? I wonder what ever happened to my Tesoro manual?

Badger

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just like fishing...You want it to be a challenge...You will feel much better when things picks up! Good Days and Bad...Just like fishing...but the better you get the more you catch!

clump63

Mar 1, 2005
central Indiana
I've always tried to get familiar with a new machine before reading the manual so I can relate better. keep at it and you will do good.

S

southbound

What kind of detector did you get?
Vern

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I always say, "When all else fails, try following the directions." However, Clump is right, you need to figure out how things work sometimes before you really understand the instructions and it probably doesn't hurt to go back and read them again a couple of weeks later, after you THINK you got it all down, because there are a lot of little things about MD that are easy to miss or just forget. HH and welcome.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I got my Garrett 2500 it came with a shirt pocket sized manual as well as a video. I usually have my manual in my pocket or in my truck and after nearly a year I still refer to it sometimes. For instance I rarely ever have to manually ground balance, but I ran into some hot rocks and didn't have my manual with me! Ruined my day, but it won't happen again! The hot rocks was a vein of coal! Coal makes my detector go nuts sometimes! Monty

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate reading instructions! :D Took me almost a month to figure this one out! :D

Sounds like you're doing great though!!!! Congrats on your finds!

Nana ;)

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
Ah, it is a new toy. One can't wait to try it out! We are men! Manly men, and we don't need no stinkin' instructions!

I agree that I tend to try something out first before reading the instructions. In a way it helps me understand the instructions better.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I hate reading directions also....which may account for the fact that everytime I put something together I have all these extra parts left...42 screws...50 nuts....I always chalk it up to the fact that the packer couldn't count ! ;)
The penny and spoon were good finds tho...well not really.... ;) but you will get better at this. Dont throw in the towel yet.When I first started ,I was really mad that I wasnt finding anything better than what I did eyeballing....but after I learned the machine....things got tremendously better!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread