First Finds!

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been lurking and reading the forum for a while, and I finally decided to go get some coins just to start off. I had a small order of $100 in halves on order at one bank, and I couldn't wait! I went to another bank and was only going to get $20 in pennies. When I go into the bank, the teller I was talking to said she didn't have much coin, but that the teller next to her had a lot of coins. The words I heard were "Someone just brought in a whole bunch of coins."

At this point my heart is beating like crazy, and I decide to use the rest of my cash (only $60) to get some half dollar coins. I ended up getting 18.50 in pennies, one loose half and one loose dollar and $60 in halves. I get a bag from them to put my coins in and head to my car. Now I was really excited, and when I was at a stoplight I decided to check a couple of the penny rolls.

About half of the rolls where rolled in home rolls, with one open end. I looked at the first one I pulled out, and there was a wheat penny on the end. I thought that was pretty cool, a wheat penny on the first try! then I start checking the other rolls, and ALL of the rolls with open ends had wheats. That's 16 rolls total!

I decide to check my other rolls first, and save what I knows has wheats for last, and I get through and I don't find any in the other rolls. While I'm checking the modern-rolled pennies, my roommate looks at the wheat roll and quick checks a couple of them, the first roll was all wheats. I am ecstatic!

Once I had gone through the rolls, and sorted and counted all of the wheat pennies, I wrote everything down. Somewhere in the middle I got to search through my halves, and found 3 40% halves (not bad). When all was said and done, I had 739 wheat pennies, ranging from 1910 all the way up to the last year in '58.

I'll figure out how to post pictures soon and share this with all of you. I cannot believe I was so lucky on the first day! I ended up getting the $100 I had ordered because it came in early and didn't find anything else in more than my first finds.

Since then I've searched another $150 in halves and $100 in dollar coins, no more keepers! Oh well, just have to keep searching. I cannot believe my luck on the first batch.

This is my first post, and I hope to have many more great finds to share with you all, have a good evening!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Awesome! Love hearing about your huge haul of wheaties! When I get penny rolls, I feel lucky to find even one wheatie per roll. Welcome to t-net! Andi

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And now the Pictures!

Early wheat pennies
DSCN3281.JPG

Later wheat pennies
DSCN3282.JPG

40% halves
DSCN3285.JPG

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great way to start a new hobby. They look to be in great condition. Is the 1943 steel or copper?

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thay are both steel. I wish it was copper! That would be a super find.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice beginners luck! I was blessed with that too when I started, although not to this degree.

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely beginner's luck, I don't think I'll see that many wheat pennies for a long time. I'm hoping to find more silver though, starting with one box this week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread