Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the younger grandson Tonahtiuh down SW of Poncha Springs CO and camped at O'Havre Lake last night. Did some fishing and hiked back up an old mining road. Grizzled outdoorsman I am, I took this as a teachin opportunity, passin on things like how to tell what made certain tracks and when they were made, get the hell away from the lake when there's a lightning storm, don't make the fire too big when cookin, and how ground squirrels will come up and chew your ears off in the night when you're sleeping, sometimes. (Probably why he decided to sleep in a tent) I didn't realize this was the first fish he ever caught until he told me today. Pretty cool event. Note the picture of the downed tree and see what your first impression is. That really caught our attention.

Attachments

• 7-14b.jpg
    7-14b.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 69
  • 7-14d.jpg
    7-14d.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 68
  • 7-14g.jpg
    7-14g.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 7-14f.jpg
    7-14f.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 7-14j.jpg
    7-14j.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly, relevantchair. That boy stopped and pointed up the hill and said 'Mira, mira, venado!' (look, look, deer) And of course he was jokin, but just at first glance to me it looked like some sort of zombie elk from hell, reared up lookin back over his shoulder.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job there young man :thumbsup: cookin em is almost as enjoyable as catchin em, or so it seems to me. Could be a sign of good insurance for ya there in that tree ??

Attachments

• hartford logo.jpg
    hartford logo.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 76

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonahtiuh will remember that day forever.:icon_thumright: What could taste better that fresh lakeside grilled fish that you caught, and grilled yourself along with your Grand Ta Ta? I say the fish was not the only one who got hooked.

Wonder how many hunters would take a shot at the likes of that tree?

I have been lucky, but from now on, I'll be pulling my hat over my ears when I sleep outdoors.:laughing7:

Homar

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He'll remember it Homar. We been doin a lot of fishin around here with no luck so now he thinks this is the greatest lake in the state of Colorado. I let the grandkids just jump in on campin with only some pointers from me and he did a far better job on cookin than his older brother, who flash fried some pancakes one mornin over in Half Moon Gulch. And guess what, you mess it up, you eat it, cause that's all we got. Great learnin experience. I was kind goin on about the ground squirrels. Worst thing you have to worry about up here, besides bears and mountain lions, is porcupines will chew up your boots if you leave them settin out at night. It's great since I come from a place similar to your area, where you better look where you set down your bed roll, and you damn sure better shake out your blankets, sleepin bags and boots before gettin in them.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He'll remember it Homar. We been doin a lot of fishin around here with no luck so now he thinks this is the greatest lake in the state of Colorado. I let the grandkids just jump in on campin with only some pointers from me and he did a far better job on cookin than his older brother, who flash fried some pancakes one mornin over in Half Moon Gulch. And guess what, you mess it up, you eat it, cause that's all we got. Great learnin experience. I was kind goin on about the ground squirrels. Worst thing you have to worry about up here, besides bears and mountain lions, is porcupines will chew up your boots if you leave them settin out at night. It's great since I come from a place similar to your area, where you better look where you set down your bed roll, and you damn sure better shake out your blankets, sleepin bags and boots before gettin in them.

I am glad the so called good old days are long gone, where you had no choice but to sleep on the ground while traveling or driving cattle. Never mind the mud on rainy spells, I have seen several tick epidemics where they are crawling all over the ground, and grass. I have also seen a scorpion epidemic once. My brother in law came to visit that time, and we were trying to bar b que. It looked more like we were dancing, than cooking. You couldn't take your eyes off the ground while trying to carry a conversation, which wasn't much of a conversation, but repeated warnings along with "chingados".

That night while watching tv, I would go out during commercials and kill 25 to 30 scorpions on the porch every time. Quite a few made it into the house. Luckily it did not last long, by the next night there were way less. We never will forget the night of the scorpions. Our youngest boy was the only one who go stung that night while in bed.

Homar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread