First Florida Beach Hunt, well attempted hunt.

outdoorsup

May 9, 2004
Lake Ozark, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900, Garrett Ace 250
Was all set for my first attempt at hunting on the Florida beaches. Had the thoughts of gold and silver coins in my head, bought a sand scoop from one of the fine folks here and all was set. Made the 9 hour drive to Florida only to find out that the island we were staying on was an old WWII gunery range. 50. cal bullets everywhere, mortar and practice bombs found from time to time, so that kind of killed my gold and silver coin expectations. But did manage to find some redfish, grouper, mackrel, stingrays, sharks, butt ton of hardhead catfish, sheepshead and lots of sun. Had a great time inspite of the lack of detecting and I will return again, but will leave the detector at the house.

Upvote 0

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outdoorsup said:
Was all set for my first attempt at hunting on the Florida beaches. Had the thoughts of gold and silver coins in my head, bought a sand scoop from one of the fine folks here and all was set. Made the 9 hour drive to Florida only to find out that the island we were staying on was an old WWII gunery range. 50. cal bullets everywhere, mortar and practice bombs found from time to time, so that kind of killed my gold and silver coin expectations. But did manage to find some redfish, grouper, mackrel, stingrays, sharks, butt ton of hardhead catfish, sheepshead and lots of sun. Had a great time inspite of the lack of detecting and I will return again, but will leave the detector at the house.

Treasure comes in many forms. When coming down to the Sunshine State never leave your detector home. Just go to a different place. If nothing else, do a little research right here on the forum and go to a known treasure producing area.

Many Florida beaches were used for practice landings etc during WWII and military items are often found. Some have a good collectors value.

Happy to hear you had a good time.
Deepsix

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
yea I got a neat 50 cal. awhile back, date is 1943,sure it not worth anything but I like it,part of history an I found it,not all treasure has money value

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II
What beach were you hunting for the military relics??

I was wondering where you went for the relics. Thanks. HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread