First For Me In Many Ways... Spanish Silver!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back out tonight to the old farmhouse I had found a few old buttons at yesterday. I started with digging the old monkey wrench. The 1919 Wheat Cent was about an inch beside the wrench. I went back to the spot I found the buttons, but only turned up some trash and a modern bullet casing. I started to move closer to the house and picked up a good high tone between a lot of trash and turned out another little flat button with some gilt left on the back marked "treble gilt". Just a few feet away I got a perfect dime signal and thought I could have me a silver dime. I was very surprised to see this very thin silver coin come up out of my plug. I saw the hole in it, but could not tell what it was. I could make out the date and could tell it was a 1777 Reale! It is very worn and you can only see a little bit of the crown on the back, but not to bad for 235 years old! This is a first for me and my oldest coin! HH Dave

Attachments

• 10-04-12 (11).JPG
    10-04-12 (11).JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 10-04-12 (10).JPG
    10-04-12 (10).JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 10-04-12 (8).JPG
    10-04-12 (8).JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 10-04-12 (6).jpg
    10-04-12 (6).jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 10-04-12 (1).JPG
    10-04-12 (1).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 183
  • 10-04-12 (2).JPG
    10-04-12 (2).JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Upvote 14
Thanks everyone for the nice comments! It is such a thrill to recover a little piece of history like this. You never know if your next dig will be a rusty old pipe wrench or a 235 year old Spanish Silver! :laughing7:

Congrats on your firsts!

What a find, Congrats!!

Great dig, Dave! The biggest thing is for you to save, clean, and post everything you dig. Don't trash anything from an old site like that unless you know for sure it's junk.

Great dig, Dave! The biggest thing is for you to save, clean, and post everything you dig. Don't trash anything from an old site like that unless you know for sure it's junk.

Thanks BuckleBoy! This site has been great. I have been able to recover some nice first for me, like this coin and two CW spurs. I am fortunate to have the operatunity to save some of these historical items and teach myself, my family and friends the history behind these types of relics. It has been a fun "hands on" history lesson.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back