FIRST GOLD!! ...and a penny!

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Got off work and stopped at the old Harris school in downtown key west for a quick swing session lol and found this 14k bracelet 3 inches deep within 15 min, then not 5 minutes later found this1858 flying eagle penny!! Started pouring rain after the penny so came home but I will be swinging that old school everyday on the way home till I cover all of it!! Must say that the high one gets finding gold is perty damn hard to beat!!
CHRIS

Attachments

• image-1484662267.jpg
    image-1484662267.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 194
  • image-2347608204.jpg
    image-2347608204.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 192
  • image-3816774772.jpg
    image-3816774772.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 206
  • image-3875112161.jpg
    image-3875112161.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 10

coinhound

Sep 26, 2012
Northwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Whites Prizm 5G, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations, wow, sounds like a well invested twenty minutes to me. The gold is without a dought a very special find and a bracelet is a nice change from the tipical ring. I would have been pretty excited about the penny myself. I hope that this turns out to be a honey hole for you and may there be many, many more finds to follow. Good luck!

Coinhound

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds ! I'm not dissing the gold , but I'd be way higher on the flying eagle cent !!!! especially when it looks that nice ! Argentium.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree with Argentium,,,,,,, sweet finds

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I agree on the gold crowd. There's nothing like seeing that glint of gold coming out of the ground! Plus FE cent is $15... gold bracelet is...?

OP
OP
wetfly

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Really? 15$ for that penny? Is it a pretty rare coin?? I have found two other 1800's pennies but both were Indian heads ,but neither were in as good a shape as today's! Back then they def made a much more sturdy penny than the crap they mint today. Very thick and rather heavy too! Upon inspection of the bracelet the clasp is broken which is probably how it found its way in my pocket!! Lol-- I'd really like to see how some of you are displaying your coins as i now have a small , but decent little collection going! I'm still using my first and only detector ( Garrett ace 150) it's been great but always wonder what I'm missing -- I'm asking santa for either a sand shark or a garret at , as I believe I can take both diving with me?! I'd really like to have the Excalibur but it's just a little outta my price range at the moment but a few more days like today and it'll happen! Lol. By the way , I love this site and have learned a ton of helpful information from everyone here and I am sincerely appreciative ! Thanks , and good luck everyone!!

Looking at what I have here and one of the Indian head pennies is an 1862 and is much thicker than the other which is a 1898-- also have 1911,1915,1917,1919 and 1920 wheat pennies-
Seven mercury dimes and one of those steel "war" pennies-- slowly but surely gettin bigger!!

Attachments

• image-1025785834.jpg
    image-1025785834.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 125

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the gold bracelet but I'd be much more excited over the Flying Eagle cent. :hello2: Congrats!

HH
p.s. You're off to a great start...keep digging!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The penny gets my vote.....would have to smack the smile off my face on either one...... Underwear change if I had found both on a short hunt. :evil6:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet looking bracelet! Love the coin also!

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably the best flying cent ive seen dug. awesome. and, of course, the gold is a great find - what's the weight?

OP
OP
wetfly

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Haven't weighed it yet but have two 14k rings one gold earring and a broken starfish charm that I plan on cashing in for my Excalibur fund! Lol. Being in key west the good condition ratio is about 1 out of 10 so I really got lucky having this one be about in the center of the island and being buried in a black dirt type material that was brought here prolly when the school was built back around 1908 for the playground as there isn't really any dirt here to speak of ! Addicting hobby though earlier I was having thoughts about getting out the flashlight lol!!

Maxore

Sep 12, 2012
Utah
Detector(s) used
MXT W/ 950
MXT-Pro w/ 6x10DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet first Gold. :occasion14:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
btw welcome to the fe club hope you find more happy hunting

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
wetfly, this is SO funny. People are taking sides on gold and a penny. Dude, if you never found anything at all, you alraedy found a huge treasure. You're in Key West. We're in an assortment of crappy little towns and cities that we have to try and convince ourselves are soooooo coooool to live in. On top of Key West you find a rare coin and a really nice gold bracelet, there is probably more and you will no doubt live to be a hundred in paradise...

OP
OP
wetfly

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Lol key west is well.... I grew up here so it's pretty small after a while lol!! Fantasy fest is coming up at the end of the month though and there will probably be around 50,000 drunk nekkid people dropping all sorts of valuables and I'll be right there swinging away!! No pun intended!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Really? 15$ for that penny? Is it a pretty rare coin?? I have found two other 1800's pennies but both were Indian heads ,but neither were in as good a shape as today's! Back then they def made a much more sturdy penny than the crap they mint today. Very thick and rather heavy too! Upon inspection of the bracelet the clasp is broken which is probably how it found its way in my pocket!! Lol-- I'd really like to see how some of you are displaying your coins as i now have a small , but decent little collection going! I'm still using my first and only detector ( Garrett ace 150) it's been great but always wonder what I'm missing -- I'm asking santa for either a sand shark or a garret at , as I believe I can take both diving with me?! I'd really like to have the Excalibur but it's just a little outta my price range at the moment but a few more days like today and it'll happen! Lol. By the way , I love this site and have learned a ton of helpful information from everyone here and I am sincerely appreciative ! Thanks , and good luck everyone!!

Looking at what I have here and one of the Indian head pennies is an 1862 and is much thicker than the other which is a 1898-- also have 1911,1915,1917,1919 and 1920 wheat pennies-
Seven mercury dimes and one of those steel "war" pennies-- slowly but surely gettin bigger!!

$15 for the flying eagle cent seems like a reasonable valuation. What I do for my items is check the ended listings on ebay to see what others in similar condition have sold for. A lot of people tend to use price guides for their finds, which 99% of the time is not accurate for several reasons - 1) those are retail prices you'd expect to pay from a dealer, 2) those prices are for problem free coins which are hard to find in dug condition, 3) guides are for quick reference only, not an end-all-be-all source.

The second pic with the steel cent, mercs, etc... are those coins you have purchased for your personal collection? If they were found with a detector, that 1943 would have been a recent drop as they would rust, and with many of our discrimination programs, it would probably just "null" out. Some odd finds tend to come out of school yards... sometimes the result of Junior raiding daddy's collection. Just yesterday I pulled out an 1860 Great Britain penny in a park that's next to a school. You're off to a good start, so keep hitting that area, and be sure to cover your holes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread