🥇 BANNER First GOLD COIN Today from the Field of Dreams!!!!!!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
While heading out this morning to the Field of Dreams to meet up with Greylock, I knew it was going to be difficult to top last weekends Charles I Hammered Silver Penny, but I was hoping my good luck would continue. I got to the fields a little after sunrise. Hunting was slow for a while, a musket ball here, a broken Crotal bell there, until Greylock and I headed into an area of cut corn that I haven't ever spent a lot of time in. As I approached a high point in the field, I heard a strange low scratchy signal on my XP Deus. As I kicked the corn husks aside, I saw something shiny and round. This wasn't the shine of silver, it was the shine of GOLD! Looking right up at me from its resting place on top of the dirt was my FIRST GOLD COIN! I couldn't believe it. I called Greylock over to see and tried to get BrokenKnee's (who had just pulled in) attention. I didn't find much the rest of the day, but I was PUMPED. I did manage a couple Indian Cents, and a 1870's German 10 Pfenning. I never expected to find a gold coin in a farm field. Maybe I didn't surpass my hammered silver, but I think I equalled it! I can't wait to see what's next to be found in the "Field of Dreams."

The coin is a 1874 Gold $1.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 814
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 780
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 762
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,085
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 832
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,014
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 969
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 795
Upvote 87

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did I read your post right?? That beautiful thing was on TOP of the ground just under the corn husks?? That is some super luck. I don't know which of you guys have the best finds from this spot so far, and I really think the competition is far from over there for any of you. Great post and I can see you fellows enjoy the hunts as much as the finds. That is the best find....your friendship among you.:icon_thumleft:

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find, hope to find one of those soon :treasurechest:.

3 of 6 GMG's

Oct 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
AP PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, I'm fairly new to MDing and loving every min of it. Keep up the awesome finds. Gives me great hope of finding some good stuff one day " everything we dig is good stuff, not trying to put any ones find of anything down".

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like a boss!

Congrats, man. Amazing find. :notworthy:

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding! Nice post & cool pic.
Banner

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a dream find. Perhaps this will be my year for a gold coin. Gotta think positive, right? :)

A well-deserved banner, for sure.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful!! :hello2: Congrats on a spectacular gold coin. :thumbsup: Banner, too!

Regarding what Rick asked about your site, do you hunt the whole 2,300 acres or just where there was human habitation? I hunt fields and tend to concentrate on the areas where I know homes once sat. The signals peter out from there, so I don't usually cover the whole acreage. :dontknow:

HH

I know where many of the old homesites were, and several other shops and whatnot. I have been using Google Earth to mark every significant find to try to determine if there is a correlation to the old maps. In some instances there is a strong correlation, but in others, not so much. In looking at my Google Earth map, I see dense concentrations of good finds mostly in the areas I have searched, and not so many in the areas I haven't searched :dontknow:

SilverSearcher,
I was using the setting on the Deus that you recommended when I found the gold coin. I played around with a few settings and found that one worked really well for foil, small silver, and other coins. I didn't find as many small bits of brass and buttons as I usually do though, and it didn't cafe for the gold much. When I switched over to GMPower, I read the gold very well, but lost some depth on small silvers. I'm still exploring the advanced settings on the Deus, hopefully I will find one I like and matched the site well.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding! When I saw the title to your post, I thought the coin might be a pre 1800 gold coin, but any gold coin is a great find! Congratulations on getting that off the list. I have never dug a gold anything!!

I didn't recognize the Princess Head design at first and thought I had a foreign gold, lol. All I saw was yellow. I would be even more surprised to find pre-1800 gold out there, even though previous finds show they could be there. Gold coins would likely have been very uncommon for any of the early settlers in the town, with the exception of 3 or 4 very wealthy families, but you never know!

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Did I read your post right?? That beautiful thing was on TOP of the ground just under the corn husks?? That is some super luck. I don't know which of you guys have the best finds from this spot so far, and I really think the competition is far from over there for any of you. Great post and I can see you fellows enjoy the hunts as much as the finds. That is the best find....your friendship among you.:icon_thumleft:

I've been hitting this site hard for year now, and off and on a little longer. I plan on doing a 1 year summary post soon in the Best Finds forum. Looking back, I can't believe the goodies that've come out of those fields. I can't imagine what the MD pioneers found there in the 70's and 80's!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where many of the old homesites were, and several other shops and whatnot. I have been using Google Earth to mark every significant find to try to determine if there is a correlation to the old maps. In some instances there is a strong correlation, but in others, not so much. In looking at my Google Earth map, I see dense concentrations of good finds mostly in the areas I have searched, and not so many in the areas I haven't searched :dontknow:

SilverSearcher,
I was using the setting on the Deus that you recommended when I found the gold coin. I played around with a few settings and found that one worked really well for foil, small silver, and other coins. I didn't find as many small bits of brass and buttons as I usually do though, and it didn't cafe for the gold much. When I switched over to GMPower, I read the gold very well, but lost some depth on small silvers. I'm still exploring the advanced settings on the Deus, hopefully I will find one I like and matched the site well.
It's hard at first because of the high pitch sounds, knock the iron volume to 1 or 0, senc to about 90-91 this will make the coke start to sound iffy and scratchy, the silver will be very high pitched. But I know what you mean I was constantly changing the settings on Sunday myself.

SS

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Brokenknee, Greylock and myself all did air tests on the coin after finding it. None of our machines on the settings we were using were really hitting on it past a few inches. That small thin gold is hard to read. I was able to get an audio tone with no meter readings at 8 or 10 inches in GMPower, but it was very faint.

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brokenknee, Greylock and myself all did air tests on the coin after finding it. None of our machines on the settings we were using were really hitting on it past a few inches. That small thin gold is hard to read. I was able to get an audio tone with no meter readings at 8 or 10 inches in GMPower, but it was very faint.

Wow, you definitely were in the right spot at the right time then!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a dream find. Perhaps this will be my year for a gold coin. Gotta think positive, right? :)

A well-deserved banner, for sure.

Cheers,

Buck

Buck,
With all that Spanish Silver, you're overdue for some gold! I'm sure one will turn up for you. Thanks for the comments,

HH,
-Ox

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about printing up a huge map and marking everything off - I remember where most of the good finds have been.....
have you tried asking to check some of those small fields immediately on the other side of 91 - those should be decent as well.....and if they really overhaul the dike system...that could get really exciting.....

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find !

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be my dream coin come true , congrat and see you on the banner!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread