First Gold Ring fulfills New Years Resolution

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Gold Ring fulfills New Year's Resolution

First gold ring today, which is brilliant since my new year's resolution was to switch from shooting silver coins, clads and silver jewelry to hunting for gold, and if possible, find some things from the 19th century . This would entail opening myself up to digging those lower signals, which is kind of hard for me to do psychologically when I've been digging up only coin signals for the most part since starting this hobby over a year ago.

I'd made a good start on finding older stuff already, I'd found an 1890 Indian head, my oldest coin, and an 1880's Frederick Stearns bottle - my oldest find - and a glass telephone pole insulator earlier this month. That was very novel for me, and actually, for anyone in the Miami area. Finds from the 19th century are rare indeed in these parts. I was able to find the IH because I was willing to dig a zinc signal, which I would not have done last year. Not that I ever expected an IH, no way down here in Miami. But there it was. And by digging a fairly deep (for Miami) bottle-cap signal I found a 1942 Lone Ranger Victory Corps pin - and anything Lone Ranger is good for me, I was a big 5 year old fan in 1958.

Amyway, i had a hankering after I ran to the post office today to play with my new "lucky" detector, an Eagle Spectrum, for a half hour at a local park. I had decided it was lucky when I found a big honking silver Christ pendant New Year's day, the first hunt I'd taken it on.

I dug up a little trash by the walkway, and decided to move deeper onto the soccer field where I figured less trash, more good targets. I picked a spot at random, swung the detector and got a pulltab signal. Da-dum! This ring comes out of the rootball. At first, when I saw the open band i thought it was a toy ring, though the perfect gold surface was impressive, and that had me puzzled. Then I saw that the band was broken, not made that way, and I spied the 14kt stamp.

That was it, I left. I'd been there all of 15 minutes maybe. The good thing about the band being broken, besides that I can get it on my pinky and then make it tighter, is that I can see good gold metal all the way through the band. It weighs .1580 oz; as scrap 14 kt gold its worth $140.60 today.

The band may have been clipped by a mower blade. The ring may be South American.

gold-lion-ring.jpg

gold-lion-ringtrash.jpg

all my finds today

gold-lion-break.jpg

gold-lion-ring-14kt-web.jpg

Upvote 0

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: First Gold Ring fulfills New Year's Resolution

Congrats. Nice gold indeed :thumbsup:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

all gold is good gold :icon_thumleft: congrats on the ring

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet gold ! :headbang:

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

GOOD JOB ON FINDING THE GOLD!

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice. Found same ring last year at beach -- was being sold by Kays Jewlers for $300 something.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi, from S. Korea.......but, used to live in N.W. Dade County.
I never hunted there.....didn't have a detector at that time, and just never knew about THing.
How old is Miami? You should be able to find coins and artifacts back to that time.....given the right property, etc.
My father-in-law lived 1000 block NW 129th St. Worked for Truly Nolan Exterminators.
AND.....you talked about liking the Lone Ranger item. I was listening to The Lone Ranger on the radio in 1950?? I was still in
grade school, I seem to remember. Much water passed under my bridge, for sure.
You'll find the right areas.....research, research, research.
Many good hours of THing in 2012.

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DewGuru said:
Nice. Found same ring last year at beach -- was being sold by Kays Jewlers for $300 something.
Thanks much for that info. I was wondering where it originated from. My sister just told me the one she lost a few years ago was very similar except her's was a tiger with sapphire eyes. These big cat rings do seem to be very popular. btw, her's was lost in a small lake that was later filled and built over, so no way to recover it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread