First Gold with the new to me G2

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, not the Lost Dutchman or anything like that but still a prized find. A good friend was clearing brush on some rental property last fall and lost his wedding band in the process. He made several attempts to find the ring to no avail. Well this week he and his wife are out of town and I was taking care of the house and mowing the grass so after I was done I pulled out the G2 to see if I could locate the ring. After about 45 minutes and some junk, a couple of clad, and several old cable tv filters, I hit a solid signal next to a tree that rang up a 58. Depth showed at about 3 inches. I thought that was too deep for something lost just 7 or 8 months ago but dug it anyway. Yep, gold staring back at me from the hole! Probably lost it while edging around the tree and got covered by the loose dirt. I'm not going to bother them while the are on vacation, but will I have a surprise for him when they return!

Attachments

• ring1.jpg
    ring1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 167
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 164
  • ring3.jpg
    ring3.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 165
Upvote 16

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find - Congratulations!:occasion14:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will make a great homecoming surprise.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a fantastic find. I would set it on his dresser and not say anything to them about having found it. What a great surprise that would be.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Now you got the gold fever! I know, it happens to me whenever I find it.

Steve

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recovery! Boy will they be surprised! Congrats!
At lest you took pics of it, I forgot to. :(

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Thats definitely a cool coming home surprise

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool.
That Sandy (looking ) soil Sucked that ring right down.

Also I want to Slap Every Cable Guy who throws used parts into folks yards , as they have Wasted MUCH of my time.

Davers

OP
OP
D

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I was pumped when I found it for sure. Well, Ray promised me a six pack if I would take care of the yard while they were gone, but now I'm thinking he may owe me a whole case! :occasion14:
Yes, this area is mostly sandy loam which can actually be somewhat abrasive, but at least it isn't as corrosive on coins as some parts of the country.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find. I'd say Ray owes you at least a case!

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What if your wrong, you might be in for a surprise when he says "that's not my ring" lol. Either way, your a winner in my book. GL!

OP
OP
D

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it was in the general area of where he said he lost his ring so I must assume it's his. Of course if he says it isn't, then we can sell it for scrap and buy several cases of beer. :occasion14:

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great job! those teknetics do it all!!

OP
OP
D

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blugotti, I think you might be right. I'm still learning the G2 but so far I really like what it does. As a retirement gift to myself I sprung for the G2. Now if I can just catch up on the honey do's I might get a chance to really do some TH'ing.

OP
OP
D

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, its time for an update to this thread. Ray and Dianne came by this afternoon and I had the opportunity to return the found ring. Yes, it was the lost wedding band. As for the rings age, Testing123 was correct. It is old. Dianne informed me that the ring was her Grandmothers, passed to her mother, then to her. When she and Ray got married 20+ years ago she presented it to him as his wedding band. So not only did I return Rays wedding band, but also a family heirloom. Smiles all about!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread