First half boxs, look who "Walked" in with Ben.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First half boxs, look who "Walked" in with Ben.

Was finally able to get my first 2 boxes that I ordered through my branch. Picked them up but didn’t have time to go through them right away so I went through them last night. First box I only found 1 40%er and started to get worried that the next box would be a skunk. Opened the second box and found 3 rolls with silver showing. This got me really excited. Pulled a few 64's and some various 65-69's and then opened a roll and saw a silver edge. Pulled it and it was 58 Benjamin. Another first to check off the list. A few rolls later, I tore off the paper and saw a thin reeded edge that looked different. Pulled it out and it was a 44 Walker. Another first to check off. Two firsts in the same box! Overall was very satisfied with the boxes. Have 2 more coming next week and going to order 3 today with the same branch.

Results for both boxes:

6 - 64's
1- 65
3 - 66's
7 - 67's
9 - 68's
2009D - First one I have seen. Looks close to uncirculated. Anyone have mintage numbers for 2009 yet?
1958 Benjamin
1944 WLH
Found an odd 1983 Kennedy with a blob in front of the mouth. This blob appears to be part of the coin as you can see the mouth on the outer edge of it. Anyone know what this is? Is it unique?

Thanks for looking. Pictures included for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• allsilver.JPG
    allsilver.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 335
  • BenWalker.JPG
    BenWalker.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 2009dkennedy.JPG
    2009dkennedy.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 346
  • bumpkennedy.JPG
    bumpkennedy.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 334
Upvote 0

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Re: First half boxs, look who "Walked" in with Ben.

The mintage for 2009 is 1.7M of each.

HH,
65GT350

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the mintage numbers. Guess they are not too "rare". Might still hang onto it.

Anyone know anything about the blob/bump on the 1983? When I saw it at first I though it was something melted on the coin (since it looks like it has been in a fire) but the closer I look the mouth of Kennedy looks like it’s on the edge of the bump. His lips are on the down slope of the right side of the bump. The back (besides being blackened) appears normal so there is no distortion of the back which is causing it. I looked around on google and other coin sites for similar examples and didn’t find any. Closest thing I saw was called a CUD? :dontknow:

SilverMiser

Sep 2, 2009

Hi AG,

Wow! you found a lot more than I did in my two boxes this week. I only found 4 40%.
I also found one with a blob almost the same as yours except it was on the back almost in the center. To me, it looked like some metal had been melted onto it, so I threw it back.

Matt

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, this was a good box. Supprised me.

When I saw the blob I though the same thing about the melted metal on it but as I looked closer I noticed the strike itself was on the blob. That is what got me wondering as to what it was. From my research it looks like what they call a CUD: "When a coin is struck by a broken die the place where the die is broken or missing will often show up as extra metal on the surface of a coin. This extra piece of metal or "cud" can be from a piece of the die being missing or a still intact, but moved."

trezurhunter

Dec 18, 2008
Volusia county, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would say it has been in a fire.

The Trezurhunter.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

Great boxes !!! :thumbsup: Those photos are tempting me to buy some boxes. I won't though.

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008

Now you are up in the big leagues with that Ben and Walker. Do you dare say BARBER ?

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007

Excellent boxes. :thumbsup:
The 83 looks like it was heated up either in a fire or a torch.
If you drop it does it sound different than a clad? if so I think
that is what you have.

I'm no expert. This is just a guess. Take it to a coin dealer they
would know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread