Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got in a good 6 hour hunt but didn't find to much the ground was still a little frozen, I found what I believe is a British half penny I'm trying to clean it now but cant see anything on it but my friend found one in the same field today and you could make his out better and there the same size and thickness. I only got one button but at least it has the shank. HH!!
DSCN2413-1.jpg

Upvote 0
S

seger98

I sure hope it turns out to be a half penny for ya, good luck & I hope you post a picture of it!

Chris

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work! What cleaning method do you use? Peroxide?

Regards,

Buckles

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Glad you're able to get out there. Be sure to give us an update on that coin.
Mike

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Nice! My only "half" penny was a lincoln cut in half by a park lawnmower.

;D

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
collector01 said:
I got in a good 6 hour hunt but didn't find to much the ground was still a little frozen, I found what I believe is a British half penny I'm trying to clean it now but cant see anything on it but my friend found one in the same field today and you could make his out better and there the same size and thickness. I only got one button but at least it has the shank. HH!!
DSCN2413-1.jpg

Nice finds! I cant wait to see the picture after you clean it!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some nice finds there you will have to post your half penny when you get it cleaned...Matt

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Wish I was there! I'd take the mems out of your way at least!
Good hunting!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
no not half pence --half penny is the correct term -- since pence is used for more than one penny , ie one penny , two pence, three pence ect.-- if one only has half a penny --its a half penny -- (to be a pence -- properly it needs to be 2 at least -- so a half a pence (2) would be (1) a "full" penny ) a quarter penny is a farthing.

using the britsh 240 pence to the pound system*
farthering (1/4th) , half penny (1/2) , penny (1) , two pence (2), three pence (3) , six pence (6) , shilling (12 pence), two shilling or 1 florin was (24 pence) half crown ( equal to 2 1/2 shillings) was (30 pence) --crown (equal to 5 shillings was (60 pence) --4 crowns made a pound (240)-- the "scottish guinea" was a odd bird at 21 pence

since pence means more than one -- you would not use the more than one term for a single item . --so half penny would be correct for a single coin-- for one penny and a half penny it would one and a half penny, however once you had a 2 pennies and a half penny you would say two and a half pence . --in this way I'm sure folks used the term "half pence" --but to use the term to refer to a single coin is not proper -- was it done most likely but still not proper.

thus it was written---- pounds / shillings / pence ---(an "s" was used for shillings and "d" was used for pence )---- (pound symbol) 12 , 2 s , 2 3/4 d --(12 pounds , 2 shillings and 2 3/4 pence)

we americans still incorrectly call our "cents"-- penny or pennies -- a hold over from english colony times.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
ivan salis said:
no not half pence --half penny is the correct term -- since pence is used for more than one penny , ie one penny , two pence, three pence ect.-- if one only has half a penny --its a half penny -- (to be a half pence --2 at least --it would have to be a "full" penny in value ) a quarter penny is a farthing.

Wrong again. We used to call a half pense a half pense long before you were born.....

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arizonaames said:
ivan salis said:
no not half pence --half penny is the correct term -- since pence is used for more than one penny , ie one penny , two pence, three pence ect.-- if one only has half a penny --its a half penny -- (to be a half pence --2 at least --it would have to be a "full" penny in value ) a quarter penny is a farthing.

Wrong again. We used to call a half pense a half pense long before you were born.....

No, Ivan is correct, a Half Penny is a Half Penny, Half Pence is plural. Just like in Spanish silver, it is Half Real, One Real, Two Reale, Four Reale and 8 Reale, the plural of Real is Reals and the plural of Reale is Reales........

Don

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
thanks don -- while the term half pence was used I'm quite sure (incorrectly) by many over the years

--properly it should only be used once a penny in value plus is reached * -- like 1 and a half pence -- counted should run like this , one farthing , half penny , three quarters of a penny , one penny , one and quarter pence , one and a half pence , one and three quarters pence , two pence , two and a quarter pence , two and a half pence......

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yep I'm a young whippersnapper --a mere 47 years old

of cabbages and kings *
one thinks of cabbages ---half a cabbage, (1 whole) cabbage, cabbages (more than 1--say 1 1/2 cabbages)

does not pence mean "more " than a penny in value? by its nature ? (ie-- two pence means = to two pennies )-- you do say penny for the coin marked penny do you not? :icon_scratch:

farthing (coin is marked--means 1/4th of a penny)
half penny (worth noting the coin is marked half penny --not half pence*)
three quarters of a penny (1/4 and a 1/2 make 3/4ths of a penny )
penny (coin is marked penny) not PENCE

however once the penny threshold is crossed ** PENCE kicks in -- a PENNY and * is what makes PENCE

one and a quarter pence (1 1/4 penny )
one and a half pence (1 1/2 penny )
one and three quarters pence (1 3/4 penny )
two pence (notice the coin is marked two pence*-- ie "two" penny worth)

thus if speaking in value below a penny -- should it not correctly be half penny? -- while the term "half pence " properly should be used only above the value of a penny-- ?

and since since its only one single -"half penny" coin --its value is under a penny - thus "half penny" would be correct , wouldn't it?

AND while british folks used the term improperly does that make it correct?
no more than americans saying --penny or pennies when speaking of "cents" -- we all do it but it is still wrong.

and yes I can be a stubborn cuss. :icon_study: :thumbsup:

nice find by the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread