First hand Cache stories?

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

The other one is at my childhood home. My mom said she hid a jar of quarters and halves she had saved since I was a kid ( born in 74 ) and she forgot to grab it when she moved. If I get a chance to go back there, I will be sure to swing by the house and try to get it. I am sure there is some Silver in there.

Care to give an address? :laughing7:

Slowwalker

May 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember about 10 years ago I was coming home from work and there were a bunch of cop cars at the carwash at the end of the street I lived on at the time... I didn't know what was going on and forgot about it for a few days... Until my father in law came over and we got to talking about it. Someone had been robbing the change machines every other month or so for years and they never knew who it was, until they came for it. It turns out they never took any of the money off of the property they were storing it inside the aluminum roof that was one there and there were thousands up there and noone but the thief ever knew about it until that night. I think they said something around 15k was up there with the quarters and bills. He might have gotten away with a smalltime sentence but instead he stored it and got caught with the cache and probably got a few years for it. That's the only cache story I can think of off hand.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

I remember about 10 years ago I was coming home from work and there were a bunch of cop cars at the carwash at the end of the street I lived on at the time... I didn't know what was going on and forgot about it for a few days... Until my father in law came over and we got to talking about it. Someone had been robbing the change machines every other month or so for years and they never knew who it was, until they came for it. It turns out they never took any of the money off of the property they were storing it inside the aluminum roof that was one there and there were thousands up there and noone but the thief ever knew about it until that night. I think they said something around 15k was up there with the quarters and bills. He might have gotten away with a smalltime sentence but instead he stored it and got caught with the cache and probably got a few years for it. That's the only cache story I can think of off hand.

Imagine if it hadn't been discovered. If something then happened to the thief/s before they could retrieve it, there would be a cache waiting for someone to find. And that is one of many ways caches get cached. Thanks for the story.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an aunt in Florida that stuck lots of money in a hole in the wall in the rear of a clothes closet. Turned out, when she died, there was $47,000 in the hole in the wall. My mother and her brother split it and declared the income, paid the taxes and banked the rest.

Tador

Aug 17, 2010
During a recent visit to my elderly parents, I was letting them know about how I had used my metal detector to recover my cousins high school ring that had been lost since 1964, And to get his address to send it to him in Idaho.

Then my 90 year old Mother told me the story of how when she was a child she had received an inheritance of jewelery from her favorite aunt. She remembered putting it in a can and burying it in the back yard of her childhood home, for safekeeping, some 80 years ago, and had forgotten about it until just now!

She told me the location of her childhood home and what part of the property where its
buried. To the best of her recollection it consisted of: a diamond and a ruby ring, emerald bracelet, pearl necklace, hat pin and a broach.

The hitch is that although she knows the house was on the corner of two streets and the names of the streets, she is not sure which corner. That leaves 4 properties to search.
I think I can do a search at the courthouse to find the exact address.

But my problem is, trying to figure out how to go about getting permission from the present day owners to look for buried treasure on their property.

Any Ideas?

Pull up the address in Google Maps and drag the little "yellow man" into the street. That way you should be able to see all four of the houses. Maybe that would refresh her memory and she could tell you the correct house.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Did you know that Sundance and Butch used wood augures to drill holes in the sandstones cliffs of Utah to hide
hide dollar and quarter eagles while saving the larger gold coins to spend on wine and women. That's why they
called their hideout "holes in the walls."

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad told me that he buried a jar of coins under a tree outside his house back around 1955. Forgot what tree it was under and never did find those coins again. Although the property is still ours, the houses that were on the property were torn down a few years ago, and the landmarks are all different than they were way back in '55. Hopefully I'll be able to find those coins one of these days! :)

newbie1982

Jun 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up on family land (passed down and brown up among several generations). My great-greandfather's brother had a still in the
30's and apparently used to hide jars of silver dollars and other coins (He used to give my dad silver dollars when he was a kid). Anyways, I found a jar of old coins buried beside a tree in the woods behind my parent's house when I was 10 or 12 (I used to also find sealed mason jars with a clear liquid that I assumed was water, though I was never sure how it got in there. I'd shoot them with my bb gun...later realized it was moonshine). I plan on getting back out there with a metal detector in the next few weeks and seeing what I can dig up.

Slowwalker

May 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad rents a house in Southern Ohio from a man who's father recently passed. (in the last few years) his landlord drinks quite a bit every day, and talks even more than that. When his dad died they found in the neighborhood of $190,000 in the broken down trailer that he lived in. The family sold the land and it is owned by someone who only uses it to hunt in the fall and winter and doesn't even come around in the summer. He has a caretaker for when he's not there. Now his landlord told him that his dad had bought alot of silver coins over the years and buried them around the barn on the property but nobody even looked for them and as far as I know nobody ever has. I think I might try to find the current owner and work something out with him to search the land he has and see if its still there.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I will add my families story: My father liked to hid money, coins or paper, it didnt matter. It was just a habit, and it got worse as he got older. He like plastic bottles to hide the paper money in, in the basement. Well, the rats or mice also liked the taste of the plastic, so after he died, I found some of his stash, but some, the rats found first. They didnt eat much of the money, just the plastic container.

The brother-in-law, that lived on the same property, had the same addiction for hiding money. On day while in an old shed, I seen what looked like ground up paper money on the floor. Then I discovered that apparently a stash had been put up in the rafters, but again, the mice had got there first, and made a nest out of the money, but I think the inlaw got most of it back. After that, I would spend time treasure hunting, sitting in a shed and profiling the area. I decided that the flower bed (inside the shed) would be the next place to look, so took my "probe", a stiff piece of wire I made, and started probing the area. Didnt take long to find an object buried, and dug it up; there was about 30k in 100's. Thought it was one of my fathers stashes, but then noticed the price marker on the plastic bag, was from a store my father doesnt go to, but the inlaw does. Well, I put it back, to avoid a war in the family, and it eventually vanished, so it wasnt my fathers. Who knows what might have been left on the property, and since there were dozens of people doing work around the house, they could have found something and just didnt say anything about it. About 10k was found and reported, but im sure not all.

So, I think most caches are hid where they can be recovered easily, not three feet deep, and more than likely in an out building or basement. People need to get to there cache without being seen, and without tearing out a wall, unless its some kind of simi-permanent cache.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Ok, I will add my families story: My father liked to hid money, coins or paper, it didnt matter. It was just a habit, and it got worse as he got older. He like plastic bottles to hide the paper money in, in the basement. Well, the rats or mice also liked the taste of the plastic, so after he died, I found some of his stash, but some, the rats found first. They didnt eat much of the money, just the plastic container.

The brother-in-law, that lived on the same property, had the same addiction for hiding money. On day while in an old shed, I seen what looked like ground up paper money on the floor. Then I discovered that apparently a stash had been put up in the rafters, but again, the mice had got there first, and made a nest out of the money, but I think the inlaw got most of it back. After that, I would spend time treasure hunting, sitting in a shed and profiling the area. I decided that the flower bed (inside the shed) would be the next place to look, so took my "probe", a stiff piece of wire I made, and started probing the area. Didnt take long to find an object buried, and dug it up; there was about 30k in 100's. Thought it was one of my fathers stashes, but then noticed the price marker on the plastic bag, was from a store my father doesnt go to, but the inlaw does. Well, I put it back, to avoid a war in the family, and it eventually vanished, so it wasnt my fathers. Who knows what might have been left on the property, and since there were dozens of people doing work around the house, they could have found something and just didnt say anything about it. About 10k was found and reported, but im sure not all.

So, I think most caches are hid where they can be recovered easily, not three feet deep, and more than likely in an out building or basement. People need to get to there cache without being seen, and without tearing out a wall, unless its some kind of simi-permanent cache.

Is the brother-in-law still living?

grampa

Nov 27, 2008
about 10 years ago i rented a house with some buddies.... our landlord had just purchased the old farmhouse from it's prior owners..... the prior owners gave us a tour of the house and land and mentioned that their dad told them he hid money there

right before the house was turned over they had busted out some of the walls in the closets..

well being 21 we partied the whole time we rented and never gave it a second thought...the house was demo'd and i was told they found a whole bunch of old bottles while excacating.... Who lives for 2 years in a place where there is hidden money and never looks for it .. DUH! wish i knew about md's and this site back then

the cellar is now gone as a huge foundation of the new huge house is over it.... as is the old dirt garage which is now covered in cement as well...

i still wonder what, if anything is still buried on the property......... to know then what i know now :(

i could probably (well maybe) get access to search the lot now BUT the owner told me it's very expensively landscaped and has a huge sprinkler system

another good spot i want to search... a bar along a lake which has pictures all of the way back from when horse's used to get tied up outside while people came in to drink....... the basement is cement in the middle but on both sides is a shorter, dirt floor crawl space.... possible stuff was buried down there or fell through the floor boards? the outside may be productive as well? i know the owners and they'd probably let me search it but the problem is when as it's a very busy location

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread