First hand Cache stories?

golddigger65

Feb 2, 2010
Northern Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold bug/Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all, forum newbie here with my second post. Great site, great information.

I was told of a cache in a small town nearby. A friend of mine, since passed on, told me of a friend of his that would cash his retirement and social security checks and only use a small portion of it each month. The rest of his money he placed in pvc tubes and would bury them in the backyard, he did this for many years.

I knew the location of the house, across the street from a grade school, but would never think of digging while he lived. About a year or so later a story broke in the local news about some school kids giving lots of money to friends on the school grounds. Investigations showed that the kids had seen this man burying something in the yard and dug it up along with several more containers.
Long story short, officials found a total of $10,000 in their lockers at school.

My friend said the guy got smart after that and unburied the loot and put it in the bank, he died not long after this happened.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
golddigger65:

PVC banks are a clever way to hide caches but are better hidden out of public
view. And they require rather deep holes to be detector proof. Sometimes
eccentric types use this method and sometimes they never get to retrieve them.
Coin dealers have been known to advise clients of this method of hiding valuable coins. I would only suggest young and healthy misers to do so.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stranded in arkansas said:
Back in 1975 I was offered a chance to hunt for 30,000 silver dollars from a train robbery.So I decided one day to go to the town and find my friend and go look for it.Well I was 2 weeks too late! Another guy found all 30,000 silver dollars buried right beside the railroad tracks.Needless to say he couldn't keep his mouth shut and the IRS was watching him. "don't procatinate one day because you may lose out like I did.

This is a good example of where to look for very large "takes" of coinage. They don't usually take them far because of the weight. Those stories of thousands of dollars in gold coins being "spirited off" by a couple of thieves are normally bunk. The amount is usually waaaaaay inflated; or, if the amount is correct, the robbers don't get real far with that HEAVY loot before it's buried so they can make a faster getaway.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Check out video of the Newton Boys and listen to Joe bitchin about how he had to pack the silver cause he was the youngest .
Everything he and Willis have to say is a firsthand lesson for treasure hunters .
Live vid is what I'm referring to , not the movie version .

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandmother on my fathers side told me that when she was a little girl there was a concession stand at Woods lake Oakwood amusement park in the Oakwood neighborhood of Kalamazoo Michigan that she an a couple of other kids broke into or snuck into and they stole a metal strongbox that was full of coins, This would have been about 1924 or 1925. She said they stole it somewhat on impulse then realized that their parents would be extremely suspicious of how they had acquired so much money and they panicked and buried it under a large tree near the park. I asked her where and she said that that area was so built up now that she could not remember where the exact spot was. There was a big amusement park there but it closed in 1925 and I detected that area a lot when I lived there and found lots of coins but never her box of coins.
It's probably under a big old tree in someones yard now. Both she and the park are long gone (She died in 2000)
She said neither she or her girlfriends ever went back for it and she had forgotten all about it until I showed up at her house and was metal detecting her yard in the mid 80's

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the PVC banks: Great idea and there are probably a lot of them out there. Modern technology has arrived and the PVC Banks are not safe form being found. No I am not talking about a GPR although it may work. Hi tech Element detectors are available now, mine will find the gold or silver coins no matter what they are in and good for at least 100 feet deep. I can see it coming soon that the elements (compound) for the PVC (chemical composition) will soon be available and then even paper money in PVC banks will not be safe from those equipped with one. I know this will be disappointing to many but you could always bury a bunch of them with nothing in them and hope anyone finding them would not find your bank before you caught them.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I told my mom about this story when we visited Salt Lake City and drove by the Ruby Mountains. She said she had never heard of the Mormons losing gold in Clear Creek from a wagon. She did say that one of the roads to Horsetown was in the area of Seltezer Dam, which was a cement dam built to channel water for mining, which has since been removed in the late 1990's.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
curtis

I'm tempted to put your device to use on a known cache. We could just drive down this country road with your thingy out the window til it tell us when
to stop. Then I'd let you go get it while I sit in the jeep with motor running.
After the split you could fly home first class. We need to do this B4 everyone
gets his own thingy dingy.

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
lastleg said:
curtis

....... We could just drive down this country road with your thingy out the window .................

Be careful, because if you are seen, you will get arrested!!! LOL

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gemee said:
lastleg said:
curtis

....... We could just drive down this country road with your thingy out the window .................

Be careful, because if you are seen, you will get arrested!!! LOL

Yep, the poleece around here don't like folks riding around with their thingies out the window, either.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 13 we moved off of the beach about 25 miles away into a huge house with 15 acres. A few months after living there I was broke and was going to look for spare change in my parrents room. Above the sink there was a florescent light that had a 5 inch space above it. I thought maybe dad put some change up there. I climbed on the sink and looked above the light and saw a bill .I grabbed it and it was a two dollar bill . I thought there was something else up there so I looked and there was a sock and some loose change .I looked at the change and it was mercury dimes laying loose then I pulled the sock out and it was full of coins .

A total of 30 dollars of silver .Nothing real old but very cool . I was extremely excited and when I showed my parrents they got the phone book and called the people that we bought the house from who said that the coins were not theirs. The house was built in 1978 and we were the 3rd owners and come to find out the first owner was the woman who built the house and she was in prison for embezzlement from an oil compony that she worked for. So the coins stayed with us. I still have em stashed away some where at my parrents house. The coins appraised in the late 80s for only $130.00 . That was from a coin shop so they were low balling I am sure because they wanted to buy them to resale.There also was two wooden tax tokens from Mobile Al in the sock.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story Birdman :icon_thumleft:

Also.... Thank you for your service :icon_sunny:

GG~

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey GG, thanks much. :icon_thumright:

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are three parts to this one...

When I was a kid, probably 8-10 which would be almost 40 years ago I buried a mason jar full of pennies in my uncles yard. I know almost exactly where they are to this day.

I also buried a sackcloth full of railroad locks about the same time in a corner of the same uncles house foundation...again I know where these are as well.

The last time I was home I told my uncle about these items and asked permission to bring in my metal detector (the next time I am home) to have a look to see if I could uncover my childhood treasures...of course he said yes. But...

It was then he told me a many, many, MANY mason jars filled with marbles that he had buried under the house where he was raised. My uncle is now around 80 and he buried these marbles as a young kid...basically a jar would be buried when he could get enough marbles to fill it up. The house is still there and in great condition. It sits about 4 feet off the ground so there is plenty of room to search with my detector.

I am active military so I don't get to go home much, but I know for sure I will be back in the summer of 2011 because that is my next transfer and I usually go home between transfers. It would be great to go back and find all of the stuff buried by me and my uncle...imagine several jars filled with 60 year old marbles! It'd be a cool find for sure.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just break my heart, when houses are knock down before I have a chance to search inside and outside the houses. I live in Bridgeport, and could use information on bury treasures in Connecticut. [email protected]

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Some pretty good things shared here. Keep 'em coming.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread