Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So after playing in my yard a bit last night, I went to a local park today to test out my new toy. Not too bad, as I still have many hours of learning to do. I ended up digging 4 old clad pennies and an old clad dime. 1 bottle cap, (at least I'm being honest!) 3 nails and a tiny split shot from fishing. Am I happy so far? You bet. I love my odds so far, but I did notice my pinpointing mode needs much practice. It really is harder than an 8 inch concentric coil, at least for now. Any advice on pinpoint mode is appreciated. Thanks, and the pic is missing a dime and penny. (They got left in the car) happy hunting!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130530_143306.png
    ForumRunner_20130530_143306.png
    244.1 KB · Views: 119
OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 3 pennies are 1975, 1963, and 1959. Possibly a good area to search further for silver?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 3 pennies are 1975, 1963, and 1959. Possibly a good area to search further for silver?
Those are copper pennies, not clad pennies. Although they're a little older, you still get em in change ALL the time. I look for wheat pennies as a better tell tale sign for silver. Not saying it's not there, just not a strong indicator.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrates on ur first outing with the pro I can guarantee there will be lots more to come HH

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So after playing in my yard a bit last night, I went to a local park today to test out my new toy. Not too bad, as I still have many hours of learning to do. I ended up digging 4 old clad pennies and an old clad dime. 1 bottle cap, (at least I'm being honest!) 3 nails and a tiny split shot from fishing. Am I happy so far? You bet. I love my odds so far, but I did notice my pinpointing mode needs much practice. It really is harder than an 8 inch concentric coil, at least for now. Any advice on pinpoint mode is appreciated. Thanks, and the pic is missing a dime and penny. (They got left in the car) happy hunting!
On my ATP the targets show up a little behind the small window in the center of the coil. Almost right under where the shaft hooks on to the coil. I've got used to mine more as I use it,and now I hardly use the pin point feature. I just wiggle it across the target from 2 different directions,and X marks the spot. PS. On the bottle caps,use the "iron audio" button. Instead of sounding like a good coin signal,it will have a slightly lower tone as the coil passes across the edges of it,then a high tone in the middle. Sort of a Bump beep Bump,sound! LOL! That's the best way I could describe it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, ill give that x technique a try tomorrow, I just got home from a 2 day road trip from the hot place... lol. I need to get some detecting done, I was having withdrawals! Thank you for the advice!

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sapper once you get the ping you want to dig move off the target then press the pin pointer on the machine and slide the coil back over the target. You should notice that the sound disappears once the edge of the coil moves past the target (horizontally). Focus on when the sound stopped, now do the same thing vertically and the same principle applies, when the sound falls off you are off the target. Now you got the spot. Dig, and it will be right where your target dropped off, horizontally and vertically. On the larger coil the spot where your sound drops off is to the left or right of the coil. In other words look at your coil, your target will be to the outside of the coil on the standard coil. And on the 8x5 the target will fall on the inside of the coil, look at the coil and instead of being to the outside of the outline of the coil on the standard coil, it will be to the inside on the smaller one. I hope this makes sense?

My neighbor who sometimes goes with me detecting is amazed at how accurate the pin pointing is. And when I do mark the spot I always look at the depth and if you are right on top of the target the depth will be spot on too. It is very rare when I dig a target and the item isn't exactly under my spot. I use a probe which I place in the spot and then dig my plug around it. (Three sides and flip it over) and if my target is deep I place a towel on the ground to place the dirt on it. When I am done there is no mess and you don't even know I dug a hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread