First Hunt 2014, first Colonial copper,1786 Vermont Baby Head variety

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rode my Mtn bike to a site less than a mile from my house that my son and I have been very successful at since the mid to late 80s! I have hunted this place many times with zero finds and other times will find buttons and a colonial coin or two. It has been very good to me. Yesterday I hunted in the afternoon after the thick fog burned off and was happy to get 3 items that were not the numerous shotgun casings that abound at this place. Nice to get a Button, a Relic and a Colonial, good mix for a short hunt close to home.

The copper only read 07/26 on the Explorer SE, so I knew it was not a NJ copper and most likely not a counterfeit KGIII, since most are almost pure copper but less of it. However I have quite a few cast counterfeit KGII and William III and some CT coppers have read that low.

Upon cleaning I saw INDE ET LIB, so I was happy to start off 2014 with a State colonial copper, BUT, I assumed it was a CT copper, since that is the second most common state copper I find. But on the Obverse side I started to see the letters VERM --- so it was not a CT copper, better still a much harder to find Vermont copper! I wish it was in better shape, but the ground where it was found was next to a swampy area, so it is what it is. The great news is that it is a Ryder 9, known as the Baby Head variety. I did not have this one, so all the better. This is my third VT copper found in South Jersey, a Ryder 9, 16 and 21. My son has found a Ryder 1 and Ryder 16, so we now have 5 between the two of us.
Don

Attachments

• Site18 finds 1 dirty.jpg
    Site18 finds 1 dirty.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 204
  • Site 18 finds 2 dirty.jpg
    Site 18 finds 2 dirty.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Site 18 finds 15 Jan 14 cleaned mineral w mineral oil.jpg
    Site 18 finds 15 Jan 14 cleaned mineral w mineral oil.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 196
  • 1786 Ryder 9 VT.jpg
    1786 Ryder 9 VT.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 8

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool...

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don that's a great find! Love those state coppers. Esp the ones you don't see very often. Best of luck out there, Abe

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
Great to see a post from you especially from Jersey in Jan. You are talking lingo I have no clue on, but CONGRATS to you on a super hunt. You really know your stuff.
You have been a great help to myself and others here on Tnet over the years. I will always remember you helping me ID my counterfeit piece of eight. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice congrats.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Baby Head Vermont Don. Just goes to show those old sites will do anything to get you to come back!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to see you were able to get out Don. I guess your back is doing better. Always nice to dig a first of anything. Nice going!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool you don't see the Baby Head posted very often, good addition to the collection.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you were able to get out Don. I guess your back is doing better. Always nice to dig a first of anything. Nice going!
Bill, it was just a short bike ride and I only hunted about hour and half and back said time to quit, so I listened to it. :) Was going out this afternoon, but think the damp air and back are not in agreement, so maybe try tomorrow.....

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool you don't see the Baby Head posted very often, good addition to the collection.
Cru, finding the Baby Head variety was nice, just a shame it was not dropped about 15 feet further from where I found it, that area produced two nice conditioned NJ coppers and a beautiful 2 Cent piece, all with no major corrosion damage like the VT which was on the top of a ridge just before the land dropped down to the water. Very ground acidic area there and unless you find a copper in further where the soil drains fast, a corroded copper it will be. :(

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, Don! Looks like a hunt you will remember for a long time. Good way to start the new year!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go on the Ryder 9! I have a decent one in my own collection that even shows the 4 wheat sheafs in the shield, but never found one in the ground.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice way to start 2014! Hope the back gets better and you return there to make more great finds!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, Don. Oh, you had to go and show me up and find a Vermont copper too. lol

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Nice recovery on the Vermont! This is one coin that is still on my "to dig" list. I did get a half way decent R16 Vermont for Christmas this year.

VPR

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
CONGRATS on the Vermont "Baby Head", a Colonial State Copper is a sure good way to start the year :icon_thumleft:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I had to stop allot of my woods hunting after a buddy of mine got a 1500.00 fine and his metal detector confiscated from a conservation officer. WMA in NJ are now off limits to metal detecting. I was doing allot of hunting in WMA, unless they change that law I'm not going there. I'm not saying that is what your doing, there is plenty of woods in south Jersey that is not WMA. Just thought I'd mention it FYI and for anyone else Metal detecting in New Jersey. I spoke with the head of Land Management and checked it all out, there used to be a permit, but they stopped giving them out. I told him I never seen or read anything about this law and thought it was unfair both because it is public property and that it is not well publicized.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread