First hunt but don't know what I have

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Hello fellow hunters,

I was finally able to get a start to my year and get out last night. It was still cool but thanks to the miracle of hot packs, I was toasty enough.

I'm only going to post one of my finds as the rest was all clad. The thing is... I don't know what I have.
IMG_5728.JPG
IMG_5729.JPG
I think it's a copper coin of some kind. It rang up as copper and came out green and was fairly deep. I dinged it slightly (very tiny) and it shows copper. It's about the size of a large cent but is slightly larger as you can see. I swear I see a face in the first pic but that could be confirmation bias. It also looks like the other side has part of something on the right hand side.
IMG_5730.JPG
Thanks for the assist!

Upvote 5
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find! Love the old coppers toasty or not! :occasion14:

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Yeah. Still better than a clad kick in the pants. The odd thing about this coin is if I can actually see a face, it is in the opposite direction of Commonwealth effigies.

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Ok. A few of you guys know your coppers. Is it possible this is a Draped Bust Cent (1796-1807)? What I think could be a face is a right sided profile. The chin would be the green arrow that points left. The other green arrow is pointing at grooves on the coin that run up where the hair would be and there are intersecting grooves that could be the dress (toga?) but they don't picture well. The red arrow would be the hair at the top of the forehead.

Well my American friends? What say you?
IMG_5733.JPG

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not that you dont have a lot of American friends, but I think everyone is afraid (as am I) to cast an opinion based on the pictures. You may see something that we dont. To me it just looks like a blank disc. I'm not saying that it is, I'm just saying thats what I see on my computer screen. I cant put a magnifying glass on it like you can. Good luck with the ID.

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Its not that you dont have a lot of American friends, but I think everyone is afraid (as am I) to cast an opinion based on the pictures. You may see something that we dont. To me it just looks like a blank disc. I'm not saying that it is, I'm just saying thats what I see on my computer screen. I cant put a magnifying glass on it like you can. Good luck with the ID.

Of course you are right. Even if I can't figure out what it is, I can take it as evidence that I need to spend some more time at this site. I smell what the Rock is cookin' and it smells like potential...
IMG_5739.JPG

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THATS ONE HECK OF A BUST , IF I EVER SEEN ONE .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions