Ampage

Sep 18, 2013
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Because I found it.

Been lurking since I spotted a detectorist this summer at the beach and thought "Hey, that looks fun!" Been reading posts, watching videos, checking out "Diggers" (which almost made me abandon the hobby before I even started...) and settled on the Tesoro Sand Shark for primarily hunting nearby beaches. Also picked up the RTG longnose SS scoop for my digging needs. I hit the beach mid-day on Sunday around low tide (no negative tide though). I hunted mostly the wet sand and the surf about knee-waist deep water for about 3 hours total. Wasn't expecting any jackpots, but wanted to get a feel for digging in the waves, and get used to the tones of the shark. No bling, but got 37 cents in clad (all in the wet sand), a strip of coppery-metal, a hairpin, two pieces of scrap, and a not-so-lovely "Hunt Wilde" trowel (all in the surf). So at least I got a new tool (if I can find a way to clean it) and got some sharp pointy things out of the water. Another nice beach-goer came up and asked "What is the best thing you ever found?" I just held up the trowel and said, "Its my first day, so it would have to be this bad boy right here!" :laughing7:

Had a blast anyway. I know the shark finds stuff, now I just got to sweep it over the right stuff at the right time. Already looking forward to my next hunt!

dig2.jpg dig3.jpg hunt1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Welcome aboard! :hello2:Which part of California you at?

OP
OP
A

Ampage

Sep 18, 2013
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Thanks. I'm in San Bernardino, so I plan on hitting up mainly San Diego, OC and LA. Beaches.

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
The addiction has started! Welcome to the group and thanks for posting an interesting commentary an pics.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Welcome, Ampage.

That's not a bad start to this great hobby; it's more than what I find on many a day

Trowel looks good;hope you can get it cleaned and use it

Lorraine

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
If your married make sure your wife understands the hobby. Or one day you will come home and she will have an intervention for you. Once you give her that first BLING you will be good to go.

OP
OP
A

Ampage

Sep 18, 2013
So Cal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
If your married make sure your wife understands the hobby. Or one day you will come home and she will have an intervention for you. Once you give her that first BLING you will be good to go.

Oh no worries about that! She's already preemptively claimed the first ring as hers!

Sep 14, 2013
Revere, Ma
Detector(s) used
White's 1db
White's Eagle
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first hunt! I have to say it is fun to get out. I hunted with my dad as a kid and hadn't been out in years. I took his machine out last weekend to the beach and found a nice 14k gold men's wedding band in some dry sand not too far down. It definitely got me hooked again!

Mike

reddirtwillie

Jan 4, 2013
Mo
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Whites Eagle II SL - Wilson/lesche/garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that word - Lurking - HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread