First hunt in Arizona for the winter with several keepers

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first hunt since arriving for the winter here in Arizona. Managed some keepers.1944 Washington quarter, 42 Merc. no date buffalo, amusement token, and a couple of Wheats. Also a pile of clad not shown. Thanks for looking and happy hunting. IMG_0001.JPG I just need to add this statement. These coins did not come out of the ground looking like this. Any coins dug in this area of Arizona come out pretty crusty, including the silver. If I had a key date coin, I probably wouldn't clean it but these are not key dates. In the future I will post before and after pictures. Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 10

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Good to see you finding those dark wheats again. I can’t imagine finding old coins is easy in AZ. Well done!

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you finding those dark wheats again. I can’t imagine finding old coins is easy in AZ. Well done!

It is very hard to find old coins here so you need to do research to find the oldest locations.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you are able to return to Arizona for the winter and enjoy the weather. Nice going on the Silvers, wheats and the cool token. Congrats!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
It is very hard to find old coins here so you need to do research to find the oldest locations.

I imagine it's even harder than Seattle and I'm a big whiner about how hard it is here. I'm sure it's even trickier for you. At least you have PA for that real old stuff during the summer season!

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagine it's even harder than Seattle and I'm a big whiner about how hard it is here. I'm sure it's even trickier for you. At least you have PA for that real old stuff during the summer season!

We do have some older finds back home in Pa. I had a good summer with some cool finds.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice '44 quarter and '42 merc. Is that a 14-d wheat?

The best looking one is a 46s and the toasted one is a 1910 as best as I can make it out.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! The soil there is good to nickels. That Buffalo looks good!

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! The soil there is good to nickels. That Buffalo looks good!

That buffalo took 2 days of soaking in vinegar and peroxide with a little electrolysis. to get what you see. It was a chunk of undiscernible toast before that. Still couldn't get a date.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread