First hunt of 2020. Nailed 3 Bucket Listers.

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was very stoked to nail down this permission. It was built in 1863 and in a no where town. So I was really hoping that it had not been hunted. Based on just the three things I found, I don't think it has been. I also was not able to finish the house. I also forgot my small coil, and the front yard was trashy, so it really messed with my large coil. What I did find did not disappoint. The first item I dug, right out of the gate was a silver thimble. It is a number 7 and has STG on the side. I assume STG is for sterling? There are no hallmarks on it, so I hope I can ID it by shape. The second would not get many on here happy, but is it is a Winchester Nublack #12. It's old and not junk to me so I am stoked. The last find of the day, and this was a big one for me. It is a 1807 Drapped Bust. This just got me all excited. When I first saw it I though it was newer, between 1830s and 1850s, so I am so very happy it is the older version. Would make my oldest find at 213 years.
20200203_203837.jpg 20200203_203909.jpg 20200203_203850.jpg 20200203_204032.jpg

Upvote 29

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good LORD man! I hope you can hunt that place again...and again...and again! A single hunt NEVER gives up everything, but you’ve got a hell of a start! I’m a coin guy so it’s great to see another LC saved from the elements! If that thimble is SUPER light it might be aluminum, but it looks like silver to me. ALL 3 of my aluminum thimbles have been squashed and mangled, but not the single silver one I’ve got.
Seems like a good site to me!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A beautiful specimen of DBLC... I’ve found an 1804 and had to work carefully for hours to get the date, yours is in excellent condition for being over 2 centuries old and laying in the dirt for probably most of that time. Congratulations on your find. Ddf.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the thimble the best, lots of detail on it compared to many thimbles.

OP
OP
rjeffw

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys.

I am sure that thimble is silver. It rang up a solid 25 on the Nox, and that is the silver range. I also think that STG on the side means sterling.

No worries on going back. The front yard was throwing out bad signals, choppy could never get on anything, with the 11 in coil. I hope when I go back with the 6 in that will change. I hope that those finds indicate that this house has not been touched!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work the draped busts are always awesome to find! I haven't found one as nice as that yet!

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No doubt that thimble is sterling, and nice. I like it.
But, just FYI, in my estimation, an aluminum thimble would probably ring about a 25 on the nox, too, so I don't think that's a good indicator.
It's got the look, though!
Good digs. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
rjeffw

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was basing that tone on the silver I have found, a ring in particular. Most aluminum I have found has been high teens to 20-21, or if it is a big piece high 30s. I got real exited when I hit a constant 34 in all directions, until I dug down and it was a long piece of gutter, I think.

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ooh, I know the feeling! Fortunately, as you get better and better, you can sometimes tell the difference between coin-sized objects and bigger... so you don't have to dig em all. However, I still dig a lot of the big stuff even when I know it's probably trash... just to see what it is or get it out of the way of other signals.
Just to make sure I wasn't full of it, I went and grabbed an aluminum thimble and tested with the nox before your last post. Yep, dead on 25. In my experience, all the detectors I've used seem to like "round" objects better and will give them a higher ID than an object of the same size and composition that doesn't have some "roundness" to it.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to pitch a tent on that site lol great way to start 2020 permissions always seem to pay off keep em coming my friend. Tommy

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are really nice finds. I like the shotgun shell headstamps when a little more rare and in nice condition like that one. Congrats!

OP
OP
rjeffw

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope to find more of the head stamps. I have a place I am going when springs hits that is a old 1800's settlement. I hope to find a lot of them there. This place is way off in the middle of no where and they had to do a lot of hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread