First hunt of the season for me in Central Virginia

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My digging buddy and I spent a solid 6-1/2 hours in the woods today at his new permission. Walked at least 5 miles total. This site is almost 1000 acres, and has been surveyed to be a subdivision. Hopefully work will not start on it until next Spring; there is a LOT of potential good stuff to be dug here.

The woods were very thick and still full of green. I got a faceful of spider webs many times, saw four box turtles, but no snakes. There is a definite house site in there, around which we spent much of the day. The house predates the Civil War, but is not on the CW maps, so it likely was gone by 1861.

I did not find any military items, but got quite a bit of junk brass, cast iron, and pewter. I dug so many shotgun shells I had to empty my pouch in the woods. (Left them at the base of a metal fence post, so they did not just get strewn all over the place). My keepers for the day include a brass and an iron harness buckle, a nice colonial knee buckle, a decorated hollow pewter tube (?), an 1810 big penny, a 1773 Virginia half-penny (worn badly as they always are), and a broken 1852 silver three cent coin. I don't know if I hit it with the shovel, or if it was already broken like that; I could not find the rest of it. They are so thin and brittle that most of the ones I find are broken.

My buddy will send me pics of his finds later; he beat me good. He dug a bullseye rosette, a big penny, several buttons (two might be early militia), and a sweet Spanish silver 4 Reale coin cut in half.

Overall a GREAT start to the season, good weather, the machines worked perfectly, and we found stuff worth keeping!

Attachments

• SAM_7626.JPG
    SAM_7626.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
  • KIMG0360.JPG
    KIMG0360.JPG
    801.5 KB · Views: 81
  • KIMG0361.JPG
    KIMG0361.JPG
    836.5 KB · Views: 70
  • KIMG0362.JPG
    KIMG0362.JPG
    711.6 KB · Views: 70
  • KIMG0363.JPG
    KIMG0363.JPG
    813.6 KB · Views: 76
  • KIMG0365.JPG
    KIMG0365.JPG
    793.4 KB · Views: 78
  • KIMG0366.JPG
    KIMG0366.JPG
    787.2 KB · Views: 83
  • KIMG0367.JPG
    KIMG0367.JPG
    736.8 KB · Views: 77
  • KIMG0368.JPG
    KIMG0368.JPG
    790.1 KB · Views: 72
  • KIMG0359.JPG
    KIMG0359.JPG
    935.9 KB · Views: 68
  • SAM_7634.JPG
    SAM_7634.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • KIMG0370.JPG
    KIMG0370.JPG
    737 KB · Views: 82
  • SAM_7627.JPG
    SAM_7627.JPG
    823.3 KB · Views: 84
  • SAM_7628.JPG
    SAM_7628.JPG
    912.7 KB · Views: 79
  • SAM_7629.JPG
    SAM_7629.JPG
    871.6 KB · Views: 79
  • SAM_7630.JPG
    SAM_7630.JPG
    831.3 KB · Views: 77
  • SAM_7631.JPG
    SAM_7631.JPG
    793.9 KB · Views: 75
  • SAM_7632.JPG
    SAM_7632.JPG
    734.1 KB · Views: 73
  • SAM_7633.JPG
    SAM_7633.JPG
    806.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Upvote 34

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My digging buddy and I spent a solid 6-1/2 hours in the woods today at his new permission. Walked at least 5 miles total. This site is almost 1000 acres, and has been surveyed to be a subdivision. Hopefully work will not start on it until next Spring; there is a LOT of potential good stuff to be dug here.

The woods were very thick and still full of green. I got a faceful of spider webs many times, saw four box turtles, but no snakes. There is a definite house site in there, around which we spent much of the day. The house predates the Civil War, but is not on the CW maps, so it likely was gone by 1861.

I did not find any military items, but got quite a bit of junk brass, cast iron, and pewter. I dug so many shotgun shells I had to empty my pouch in the woods. My keepers for the day include a brass and an iron harness buckle, a nice colonial knee buckle, a decorated hollow pewter tube (?), an 1810 big penny, a 1773 Virginia half-penny (worn badly as they always are), and a broken 1852 silver three cent coin. I don't know if I hit it with the shovel, or if it was already broken like that; I could not find the rest of it. They are so thin and brittle that most of the ones I find are broken.

My buddy will send me pics of his finds later; he beat me good. He dug a bullseye rosette, a big penny, several buttons (two might be early militia), and a sweet Spanish silver 4 Reale coin cut in half.

Overall a GREAT start to the season, good weather, the machines worked perfectly, and we found stuff worth keeping!
What a find! Bonanza

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1000 acres ??? Sounds like you need some help 1-800-call-me 🤣

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did not find any military items, but got quite a bit of junk brass, cast iron, and pewter. I dug so many shotgun shells I had to empty my pouch in the woods. My keepers for the day include a brass and an iron harness buckle, a nice colonial knee buckle, a decorated hollow pewter tube (?), an 1810 big penny, a 1773 Virginia half-penny (worn badly as they always are), and a broken 1852 silver three cent coin. I don't know if I hit it with the shovel, or if it was already broken like that; I could not find the rest of it. They are so thin and brittle that most of the ones I find are broken.

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
VaGent

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am kinda stumped on the ornate pewter tube. At first I thought maybe a pipe stem, now I think maybe part of a colonial era Bosun's whistle, like these examples:

Attachments

• tumblr_5adbf84fa35415cd23a2e29dc81b0bed_fec88173_1280.jpg
    tumblr_5adbf84fa35415cd23a2e29dc81b0bed_fec88173_1280.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 11
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 40781555_1m.jpg
    40781555_1m.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 11

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt and finds. Continued luck on this awesome site 👍

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did not find any military items, but got quite a bit of junk brass, cast iron, and pewter. I dug so many shotgun shells I had to empty my pouch in the woods. (Left them at the base of a metal fence post, so they did not just get strewn all over the place). My keepers for the day include a brass and an iron harness buckle, a nice colonial knee buckle, a decorated hollow pewter tube (?), an 1810 big penny, a 1773 Virginia half-penny (worn badly as they always are), and a broken 1852 silver three cent coin. I don't know if I hit it with the shovel, or if it was already broken like that; I could not find the rest of it. They are so thin and brittle that most of the ones I find are broken.

Actually it might be an early PIPE extension..... like you put your ceramic pipe stem in the end and it gives you a glorious looking pipe ?

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah too bad more nature is going to be destroyed due to more land grabbing/building. It's so sad to see so many country sites bulldozed and built upon.

Nice finds on you and your friends part. Hopefully ya'll can find more.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good site for you with many nice finds now and waiting for you! It's sad all the animals that live there will be homeless soon and not knowing its coming.

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good site for you with many nice finds now and waiting for you! It's sad all the animals that live there will be homeless soon and not knowing its coming.
The reality is that most of the small animals can't go anywhere, turtles are basically dead, birds, rabbits, snakes, squirrels, possums, racoons, etc.. probably die because their homes are destroyed.. just sad.. Deer might be able to move somewhere else... but only because they are large and mobile, Also all the plants that are destroyed.. but the owner of the land has all that power in their hands, and do what they want, because as the Bible says... we have dominion over all creatures.. and its the progress of man...

OP
OP
VaGent

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Start of the Season? Going to be a short one with Winter on the way
I usually only hunt September through March. The woods are too thick and hot in the Summer here in Virginia. January and February are the best months because the deer hunters are done and the critters (bugs, snakes, etc.) are in hibernation .

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Permission. When and WHERE should i MEET YOU THERE TO HELP :P) LOL J/K

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread