first hunt of the year

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
my first hunt of the year and a pretty good one. I got permission to hunt a three farms that were actually worked up and planted. I found 3 scrapers and a small hammerstone on the first one. The second one I found lots of flint but nothing that was worked. The third farm I hunted produced the point with the broken tip (bummer!), a small section of a knife, and a few more scrapers, one was a duckbill, and one was the most colorful scraper I have found yet. I had a blast just getting out and enjoying the nice weather. Finding the artifacts was just icing on the cake...

zook farm.jpg

Upvote 0

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pieces and that's what its all about enjoying the romp...the finding is just a bonus!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always fun to get out and look but the finding is better. Looks like you might want to go back to those fields after a good rain.

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....Being an electronic hunter....could you explain your methods and equipment? For instance , do you use shaker screens ect..? I'm sure it's an acquired visual hunt but I would go myopic looking for these shapes.
Thanks,
Mark.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The round one to the right is a flint concentration just in case you didnt know. Most of the cobbles here are small like that. Thats why the points are small in my area.

OP
OP
huntress104

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
The round one to the right is a flint concentration just in case you didnt know. Most of the cobbles here are small like that. Thats why the points are small in my area.

Thanks for the id on the round one Rock. I called it a hammerstone because it looked like the one I previously found only smaller. It has some "peck marks" on one end, hence my reason for thinking that's what it was. I am planning on going back to make another round or two in that field before the corn gets any higher.

OP
OP
huntress104

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
.....Being an electronic hunter....could you explain your methods and equipment? For instance , do you use shaker screens ect..? I'm sure it's an acquired visual hunt but I would go myopic looking for these shapes.
Thanks,
Mark.
Thanks for the comment and question 4x4x4. I usually just walk and look, taking my time and walk a grid pattern, either up and down or back and forth crossways. I use flipping stick, one that Rock so graciously made for me and I love it, to flip over flint chips. I will never see or find all of them in a given area, but that is what keeps me coming back to look. I have used a screen before and that takes a lot of work, but it has produced some nice points. I would have to say that walking and surface hunting would be my method of choice.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the id on the round one Rock. I called it a hammerstone because it looked like the one I previously found only smaller. It has some "peck marks" on one end, hence my reason for thinking that's what it was. I am planning on going back to make another round or two in that field before the corn gets any higher.

I thought possible hammer after my response. The ones I find 9 out of 10 are quartz and quartzite but I have found a few from flint.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I had already commented on here... Oh well thats nice finds for the first hunt... Waiting to see what else you gonna find.... You must have a good spot

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread