First hunt with 6x8 SEF Coil, First Shield Nickel and Two center

samuel_schumaker

Jan 15, 2008
Holton, Ks
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro w/ Sunray, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Well, i got the new small sef coil in the mail thursday. Took it out to an old rural school house location which i had hunted twice before. Once with the pro coil and once with the 10 x 12 sef. In the last two trips there i found absolutely not a single coin or token or button or anything other then junk.. It has some trash and the ground is very mineralized so i had pretty much gave up on it but decided i would give it one last try hoping the small coil could sniff out some goodies. I also talked with another local detectorist that hadnt had any luck at this location either. I was shocked to find two firsts for me especially in this spot. I ended the 4 hour hunt with a 1920 S merc, 1945 war nickel, 4 IH pennies, 3 wheats, one tax token, my first shield nickel a 1866 and my first two cent piece a 1864. Sorry about the crappy pics, i suck at taking pics of coins. You can see the rays in between the starts on the reverse of the old shield nickel but other then that its pretty bad shape, The two cent was a shocker and i wasnt quite sure what it even was til i got home and rinsed her off. The merc dime was barely under the grass roots not even 2 inches deep. I was very happy with the ratio of wheats to older better coins. Very impressed with the small sef and plan to take it to all my spots i have previously found coins with the larger coils. Hope everyone got some hunting done, too windy here today. Sam

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 3

shedseeker

Oct 28, 2012
ny
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster GT , Garrett ace 250 , Garrett AT PRO
Garrett AT pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice job !! were all proud of ya

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I have one on order for my Whites V3i...should have it Wednesday if lucky. If I have 10% the luck you had...it will be my goto coil. martin

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice day. Awesome job

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an awesome day, congrats!

ctrymart

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2011
Kansas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Great hunt, Sam. I've been debating a smaller coil for my Ace 250. Looks like the debate is over.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds. My home town is just west of you. I was born and raised in Blue Rapids and I go back to visit about once or twice a year. Always take my machine back as there are some awesome places to hunt there. And I always have to go to the Sac-N-Fox or Golden Eagle while I am there. lol. I have the 10x12 SEF coil which I love as well. May have to get together next time I come back. I have a killer site that my dad takes me to that he remembered when he was a kid in the early 1930's. It is where they used to have a carnival in the country. He still remembers people parking their horse and buggies and Model A's nearby. I have found a lot of IH pennies and some silver there. Wheat pennies are in the teens and twenties. Absolutely no clad there at all which is really nice.

OP
OP
samuel_schumaker

samuel_schumaker

Jan 15, 2008
Holton, Ks
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro w/ Sunray, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
treasurehound, i found a couple tokens last fall that were from blue rapids, il have to look and see what the store name was thats stamped on them. Those are the kind of sites i would love to find, i like these old rural school houses because theres no modern day trash or clad to contend with. You cut a plug and when you see that it is a coin you can get excited knowing its more then likely atleast a wheat penny

1Radr4lf

Sep 9, 2012
Owasso, OK
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro and Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats....some great finds, good thing you decided to give the site another go :blob8:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread