First hunt with Garrett Ace 350, silver and gold!

Schemp

Apr 11, 2011
Milwaukee
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/ Ace 350
So I got my very first Metal detector after I sold my finds from that abandoned farmhouse/garage. Me and my wife started in the garage again since I have a very nagging feeling that there is more in there. I set my detector to discriminate everything except the bar that pops up sterling for me since there was so much trash and other metals in there. After a while I almost gave up because the signals were moving all over the place so sporadically I couldn't really discern what was what. I hit one spot that just went solid and decided to sift and dig. I walked away with more sterling and some more gold. My wife is a true trooper and if it wasn't for her, I would of never got a detector. I think she didn't realize I would really enjoy this as much as her. We fought off the hoard of mosquito's, got attacked by some ground bees, and dealt with the heat. She stuck thru it all , I think shes a keeper lol :)

Heres the pics.

I am considering asking some friends for help detecting this entire property since it is so large and I have no idea where to begin since I am pretty new to this. I did do some detecting around the property some but all I dug up was an old license plate from 1965, a really old kids wagon wheel, and some sorta iron thing with a porcelain center thing. If I ask friends for help, what is the right thing to do? Split all finds 50/50? Keep the site a secret? Its untouched as far as detecting goes and I am positive there are goodies buried somewhere here.

Heres the haul after a little cleaning and removing the junk stuff.

Sterling in upper left, Gold right next to it, Some costume Jewelry, some various trinkets, over $2 in clad, 2 more silver dimes, some B&G figurines, a police badge, a real cool marble and some old iron things

dig28.1.JPG

The sterling, a porcelain Skeleton Key that was wrapped up in burlap in a badly eroded wood box. Anyone know anything about this?
dig28.JPG

EDIT: token tested non silver
14k ring, a silver looking Centennial token, and a cool looking bicentennial bronze token.
dig29.JPG

another look
dig30.JPG

Chicago fair ashtray, circa 1933
dig31.JPG

Porcelain Skeleton Key, really need some help figuring out what this is for and what to do with it.
dig32.JPG

Saved the coolest for last. A Waltham Silver Pocket Watch, Im guessing around 1899 just from the little research Ive done today.
dig37.JPG

Backside of watch
dig38.JPG

Ive already paid for my Detector which is nice, I just need to learn it better. I know theres alot more where this came from there. I just have this nagging feeling about it and its driving me nutz!

Upvote 0

onlinesniper

Jun 16, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally Amazing finds their mate i cant wait to get a more expensive detector, i wish i lived closer to you mate to help you dig up some more items like the ones posted loving that fob watch it looks pristine and i wouldnt be surprised if it works great finds once againand Happy Hunting :icon_thumright:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you got a winner. Congrats.....

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !!!! The silver RailRoad watch may have paid for your Detector as well . Good job :headbang: HH

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! I Unless I had limited time to hunt it I would take my time and hunt or sift the whole place, and keep it a secret. If you let someone that is a pro at detecting and treasure hunting in there they will be able to find alot of stuff you should get. It is very hard to find places like that, some people never get so lucky. So keep it to yourself, HH.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure have found some great stuff. I would love to hunt a place like that. If you have someone that you really trust share it with them. If not I would keep it all to myself and detect some each week. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find........Matt

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: Wow! Awesome finds! :icon_thumleft:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...those finds are great, but the police badge...that would be the find of the hunt for me. Can you post a picture of that? Any idea of age?

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
great stuff! love the key!! If you share the spot they keep what they find...

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs with the Ace :) The right place to hunt with a modestly priced detector and you cleaned up . Just goes to show you can get performance and decent finds without paying big bucks . Outstanding ! 8)

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Keep the Spot to yourself and buy the Wife a Detector also. I haven't had a Good Spot all to myself in a long time.goldnugget-Charlotte,North Carolina

cellar dweller

Jan 7, 2007
connecticut
Detector(s) used
whites dfx , minelab excal II
Real nice stuff!!, Thanks for posting. Your first site is the site of a life time for most of us. Take your time and enjoy it alone for a while.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are some awesome first finds. I think the first finds with my first detector were a bunch of nails :laughing7:

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Excellent first hurt!

The Jefferson Coin is actually a medal. There was a silver version of this particular medal as well.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am considering asking some friends for help detecting this entire property since it is so large and I have no idea where to begin since I am pretty new to this......... i will be ur friend ;D sweet finds!! congrats!!!!!! MR TUFF

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
Good advice from the folks telling you to keep it to yourself .I hope it's not too late and you haven't told anyone yet . I learned the hard way
about how "sharing" works and I still kick myself in the butt over it sometimes . goldnugget had the best idea buy another detector for your wife . Nice finds and I believe there is much more good stuff there .

Chocadog

Feb 3, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari, Garrett GTI2000, Garrett250
I would dig every signal you get, you just don't know what you will dig! Now that you have struck it rich you might want to buy a smaller coil for the 350 it may help you separate some of the hits, good luck and well done. I would keep the location secret for a while, or at least until you become proficiant with the 350. It is a great product but there is still a learning curve.

deano

Oct 25, 2008
sioux city ,iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus 2, Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 900, Nokta Makro Legend, Nokta Makro Simplex
Awesome finds, and I agree with others on keeping the sight to yourself. Take your time, dig everything, and enjoy yourself because someday you will be wishing for a spot like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread