First Hunt with new Etrac = First Civil War Button!!

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys and gals, I decided to use my hard earned tax return to treat myself to what I think is the best detector available, the Minelab E-trac. Now I had never used any of the other Minelabs so it is totally new to me but I decided if I'm going to spend my time doing this hobby that I love that I needed the best detector to make the most of my time. So I got the detector a week ago along with a new Excal II (being divorced has it's advantages i.e. not having to justifiy the money) so anyway had to wait a whole week to finally get to go detecting. Took it to a site of an old house where a friend and I had hunted several times before and gotten several wheat cents, a couple of silver coins and some watch fobs. I had hit this yard from every direction in all metal mode and felt that I had gotten all I could from it. I had not hunted it in several months but thought it would be a good place to try out the new Etrac. Turned the Etrac on and it was like the first time I had ever metal detected with all the new sounds and the different screen and all but I had read the owners manual a couple times already and Andy Sabischs new book and got familiar with the new machine fairly quickly. Anyway in just a few minutes I had my first coin with the new machine, a 1940 Wheat cent. I was happy. Found a few more coins and some trash of course then I found something I had never before found metal detecting. I got a good sounding signal, dug a plug and soon found the target in my hand, the first thing I saw was the shank and recognized that I had a button. Tuned it over and immediately recognized the Palmetto tree on the front and just sat there in disbelief.... A South Carolina CW button, how we had missed this one all the times we had been over this yard I do not understand. It has a Backmark of Horstmann and Allien and according to a CW Relic field guide I have is worth about $185!! I am a complete newb with this machine but I am confident that with the proper time to learn it some great finds are sure to be made. Now I can't wait to go to all the places I have ever hunted before just to see if I missed anything else. HH

Attachments

• 100_0177.jpg
    100_0177.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 512
  • 100_0180.jpg
    100_0180.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 522
Upvote 0

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
wow!!!!! :) Awesome find!!! Congratulations on the button! :) I wish you good luck with the E-trac! :)

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that button looks almost brand new. WTG!

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Nice find. It is always nice when you start finding nice finds with a new machine, because it only gets better!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GRRRRREAT find HH. And good choice on the e-trac! If you need help with it Ill be glad to help as much as I can. You can also go to Minelabownerstv.com And check out Tony Hunts settings and videos...it helped us!

S

seger98

Nice find, you gotta love minelabs,

4-H-staff, I'll checkout the site see what they say about the X-terra

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
starting off with a bang -- love it !! nice SC button too.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice button, its hard to pull one out thats not messed up, and that one looks perfect, I hope you have many more to come :thumbsup:

CW
www.wedigdixie.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions