First hunting in quite a while- plan to do more :)

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys,

Wanted to share my find. Haven't roll hunted for a year or more and then only did a few boxes of halves and one box of dimes... never had much luck and moved on. Had the urge to revisit the hobby and plan on starting to do at least a few boxes a week, possibly up to 4-7 boxes a week. Picked up $300 of halves today and a $500 bag of dimes. Rim searched only. Halves were a skunk (still yet to find a silver half dollar... I'm tempted to make them my focus but it's hard when dimes offer consistent finds. Out of the $500 in dimes I found 5 pre 65 rosies. Two 1954's and three 64's.

Does anyone know of any affordable machines that roll coins? Could be much more efficient if I could split the rolls, rim search, and immediately put them into a machine as opposed to carefully unrolling the bank rolls, pulling out the coins, rim searching, and reinserting them 5 or so at a time. If I could find something for around $100 or so I may consider upping to a goal of 10-20+ boxes of dimes a week. Only problem is finding a bank I can take back multiple boxes to at once ( I re-roll the coinage in attempt to save tellers time and hassle but still plan on getting funny looks.) There is only one bank in my area with a counting machine and they charge for its use.

Attaching a picture of the results.

Attachments

• box1dimes.jpg
    box1dimes.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you 100% sure there is only 1 coin counter nearby? A lot of financials have them in the back where the teller must take them and run them through. Not as ideal as self serve but beats rerolling.

I would give all the local banks a call to ask if they have a machine and weather or not they charge members for its use. If you have an account with them, most places are free.

OP
OP
F

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the reply. I called around a few of the banks and only two said they have counters, one is behind a counter and free for members I believe, the other is in a lobby and charges 3%... the bank told me anything over $250 a month they would want 4% to count even if prerolled, what a joke- not using them.

On another note, picked up $820 worth of coin today with my best results yet. All of the coin I got was from customers.

Picked up all their halves ($120) - 5 rolls were identical from the same person and all but one had silver in them. Ended up with my first silver halves, 7 40%er's.

Also got $500 in dimes- Ended up with 6 silver dimes, 5 Rosie's and one 1968 Canadian. Earliest Rosie was from 1946. 3 Rosie's came from a single roll.

Also went through $200 in $1 coins. Nothing found, only a few Susan b Anthony dollars and presidential coins/Sacagawea's.

2 day total

10 silver Rosie dimes
7 40% half dollars
1 50% Canadian dollars

OP
OP
F

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Did another $750 today. My girlfriend enjoys the hobby with the me toow, how awesome is that? Did $500 in halves and $250 in dimes. Was the first full bank box of halves I have done in years and the only one I've gotten so far with silver in it. Ended up pulling out 2 90% Kennedy's and 4 40%er's. The dimes were pretty much a skunk except for a 1951 Canadian silver dimes.

3 day total- have gone through $2370 coin. $1250 in dimes, $920 in halves, $200 in dollar coins.

Finds:

13 silver half dollars; 2 90%, 11 40%.
10 silver Rosie dimes
2 Canadian dimes, one 90%, one 50%

Good hunting everyone, we are hooked.

OP
OP
F

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Did another $500 today, $350 in rolled halves (all the same wrapper) and $150 in dimes. Halves were a big skunk, pretty sure was another persons dump. Dimes produced 1 1963 Rosie.

OP
OP
F

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Did $1400 today. $1000 in halves and $400 in dimes. The first $500 in halves were unopened and sealed from a local armor car company and were a skunk. I called wells Fargo before coming in regarding the second box, 10 minutes on the phone to which they told me they had a brand new unopened box and I was good to come in, was very happy as my last packaged box produced 6 silvers. After a 30+ minute wait, the teller comes back with $500 in clearly searched rolls. I informed them they told me they had a new box and they replied sorry these were in a box -.-. Ended up taking them but left feeling upset and with no expectations. As expected they were a skunk.

The first $200 dimes I found a 1963 dime but would go on to accidently reinsert it into a roll and not realize it until all the first $200 were rewrapped, did not have the desire to research. Found a 1960 silver Canadian dime in the next $200 that was safely locked away.

Also pulled out one gold plated half, one 2005 half, and what I think may be my first proof. How do you identify a proof exactly?

Good hunting, plan to order some boxes here soon.

Last edited:

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you're doing pretty good. And congrats on finding a gf who enjoys the hobby.....I'd say that's your best find. I sure wish I had a gf who enjoyed the hobby too. I dated a woman who works in the loan dept of a bank last year but she has no interest in coins. And the proof coins.....modern U.S. ones anyway.....have a S mint mark and often still have a glossy finish and slightly thicker edge.

H$H!

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. I called around a few of the banks and only two said they have counters, one is behind a counter and free for members I believe, the other is in a lobby and charges 3%... the bank told me anything over $250 a month they would want 4% to count even if prerolled, what a joke- not using them.

On another note, picked up $820 worth of coin today with my best results yet. All of the coin I got was from customers.

Picked up all their halves ($120) - 5 rolls were identical from the same person and all but one had silver in them. Ended up with my first silver halves, 7 40%er's.

Also got $500 in dimes- Ended up with 6 silver dimes, 5 Rosie's and one 1968 Canadian. Earliest Rosie was from 1946. 3 Rosie's came from a single roll.

Also went through $200 in $1 coins. Nothing found, only a few Susan b Anthony dollars and presidential coins/Sacagawea's.

2 day total

10 silver Rosie dimes
7 40% half dollars
1 50% Canadian dollars

Just be careful with the 68 Canadian dime. That was the year they also started minting steel dimes & quarters. The only way to tell is to take a magnet to it. If it is steel it will stick to the magnet if it's silver it won't. I magnet check all my 68 Canadian dimes & quarters finds.

HH
Gary

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

I, too, go through some of the $ rolls, trying mostly for SBA's. Have found a 1981, which was not intended for circulation. But what I like was the three 1979 P near date/wide rim coins I have found. Stuff is still out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread