First Indian Head

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Didn't know what it was, but trusty True Metal recognized the back and a little more cleaning showed the headdress on the front and either 1909 or 1919 as the date. Not in very good shape, but still a first. Found in a very old school yard. The school was torn down in the 1960s and was around since early 1900s. Now just an open field, but high grass. When it's cut we hope to find more.

Upvote 0

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Good find, must be a 1909 as they weren't minted in 1919. Clean up the back and check for an S-mintmark, a key in the series.

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks, all. Where would the S mark be located on the back?

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Sweet!! I was hoping to find an Indian today but only got as close as a 1920 wheatback. What was the first year for the wheats?

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio
Zeke, the first year for the wheaties was 1909 the same year that the last IH (indian head) was printed (is that the right term here i am not sure?) and the rarest wheatie is 1909 s-vbd worth alot of money, if u can try buying a red book or a blue book in the coin section at your nearest barnes and noble or bookstore, anyways just wanted to inform u, HH CoinS

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
Way to go, Indian Head Pennies are fun to find. You usually know you've found a good spot when those come out of the ground.

And where there are indian Heads there are barbers too.

Good luck.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, great find Bergie and it was fun to be there for it. :D It's cool to see older coins getting pulled from these sites than what we have found so far. Was an great find to end a great day. I pulled two wheaties from this spot, a 1910 and a 1911 from about 4 " down so i doubt its been hit before. Has to be some Silver in there. 8)

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG! I use baking soda, water, and a toothbrush to clean crud off my IH's.

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
The "S" mintmark is on the front--under the date. the V.D. B. if there is one is very small and on the reverse bottom at the opening or the wreath.. the VDB stands for the coin's designer. I have a '09 VDB just not ans "S" vdb. got it when I was a kid of about 11 or 12, in the mid 60's. Thought it would be cool to make is shiny----I rubbed the penny hard on the carpet...now has lots of little scratches and probably worthless. But I do still have it. Any way the '09 question make me remember that forsom reason..

HH

Dave

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks much. Unfortunately, the coin is in such bad shape I can't tell below date on front or below wreath on back if anything is there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread