First Indian Head

FinderFrank

Sep 28, 2006
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE
Took my 9 year old son w/ me and we were getting ready to quit when we received a strong signal.Thinking we found another newer clad penny when I pinpointed It at only one inch.When I pulled it out I new it was something different. I blew it off and it was a 1863 Indian Head penny!You would have thought we found a million dollars by the look on my sons face.This was a day we will both remember.Can't wait to get the new detector so we can both have our own.

Frank

Upvote 0

christophernixon

Nov 20, 2005
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
congrats on the find!!!! still waiting to find my first indian. awesome year too - anything from the civil war era gets me excited

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still remember where I found my first IH :D, they are nice finds in my book!

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first IH, hopefully many more to follow. LOVE reading about parents spending the time with and getting their kids involved in the hobby too...WTG!!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
from some of the posts around here you would think that indians were a dime a dozen, but around here they are scarce. i have only dug one myself and was happy to get it. i think it depends on the areas you have available to you to hunt. congrats on yours.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
from some of the posts around here you would think that indians were a dime a dozen, but around here they are scarce. i have only dug one myself and was happy to get it. i think it depends on the areas you have available to you to hunt. congrats on yours.
Your right H P . All the coins that are old coppers through seated coin era are always being found. I don't live in that area so I have to accept the newer silver and wheaties with the I H popping out every so often. As much as I would love to be finding L C, coppers and seat coins I know it won't happen and if it does it's a rarity. So I'm happy with the early 1900's thru today that is in this area with an I H ever once in a while.

FINDERFRANK

a BIG..................

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 471
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 479

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
SMOKIN find! ;D ;D That is a great year for your first IH.

Yeah, IHs can be a challenge around my place. In NY they pop out of the ground with the frequency we find mercs in Ohio. ::) I agree with DesPlaines - just have to be happy with what you get. But man it is easy to get greedy when you get a taste of that 1800's stuff. ;D

Mirage

OP
OP
FinderFrank

FinderFrank

Sep 28, 2006
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE
Thanks for the comments guys and gals.I just ordered a Explorer SE hoping it is here by the week end so I can give my bounty hunter a break :)Happy hunting.

Frank

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the first Indian, they are not easy to find in a lot of places. Some guys on here have a knack for 'em or something, but that first IH is always a big milestone.

An 1863, nice early date too.

D

doyboy

One hell of a find! I love those Indians. I found 43 this year, with an 1859 as my oldest.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, glad you have your son involved in this great hobby.

I found a 1905 IH today and a 1867 2 cent piece today.
For the year I've found over 6o IH's. This has been my
best year yet for IH's.

I know you and your son, will find many more IH's and other
great coins. Once you find your first one, for some reason
they just seem to be easier to find. Same thing goes for that
first seated coin and barber coin.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting, Ringfinder

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
awesome find you two !!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D congrads on what i hope will be the first of many for both of you ........ 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Congratulations FinderFrank on a nice date of IH. I think you have some good potential in the Germantown area, I'm in Dayton and have had many nice finds. Here's to many more! ;D

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats on the first indian. A fatty to boot.

Like the ride to man. Looks like a cutlass or a 442. Can't tell from the pic. My friend has a 70 olds 442. Looks very similar to your car. Has the same centerline wheels also.

His is red with a unique silver super sport strips.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread