Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats.... those who have found them will tell you peroxide, no experience myself

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice one. I found my first this year, an 1882, but very worn. have not cleaned it yet ( well other than spit)

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job! For some reason I just have not been able to find an IH in 30 years.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were you? I would do almost nothing in the way of cleaning it up. You can tell what it is now and it IS your first one!
I'd just keep it as is, clean the next one.

Congrats!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it as is. Most of those I've found in my neck of the woods come out of the ground looking like yours. If you try and do other than rinse it off, You'll probably loose a lot of detail and possibly the date! Leave that beautiful patina on it man! Congrats on that nice IH!

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Would Usually Recommend Boiling Peroxide... But I Think You Should Leave Yours Alone. it Looks Fine The Way It Is! A Little Nose Grease Rub Might Bring Out Some Detail Though.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Found my first last year after 19 years of detecting, found 3 more after that. More will come to you. HH.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I love the design of those coins. I soaked mine in olive oil, makes it dark in color, but I was worried about stopping the corrosion and preserving the metal. The patina looks nice, I just don't know if it stops there?

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I love the design of those coins. I soaked mine in olive oil, makes it dark in color, but I was worried about stopping the corrosion and preserving the metal. The patina looks nice, I just don't know if it stops there?
I'm not an expert but I've been reading a lot in copper preservation and cleaning. Using olive oil on a copper coin that is somewhat corroded and porous allows the oil to seep into the coin. Because of this, it would be very difficult to get all the oil out so it will seep back out of the coin for years.
The problem is that olive oil is slightly acidic and will degrade some details of the coin over time. A better alternative for preservation would be Vaseline or blue ribbon coin preservative if you're trying to halt further degradation.

Again I am basing all the above on redundant posts I have read from different users that have much more experience than I.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the warm peroxide method. My buddy owns a coin shop and though he cringes at all of these things, he believes that method to be best on dug coins. I'm sure opinions vary widely on the subject. If I was you and that being the first ih I would prob leave it be. Any method you use in removing the dirt and crust will remove lots of the defining characteristics. Lots of times the dirt and crud are the only thing that allow us to make out specific details. I have lost a couple of dates on old coppers by cleaning them. Good luck

OP
OP
nfish91

nfish91

Greenie
Dec 30, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Thank you for all of the in-sight. Cleaned it a bit with peroxide and am going to leave it be now. Doesn't look too much different other than a little dirt removed.

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations. My first was a 1900 also. Sometimes I'll dip them in water and then coat them with baking soda and lightly rub them between my fingers to improve the detail and remove some surface dirt . Its not supposed to scratch the coin.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all of the in-sight. Cleaned it a bit with peroxide and am going to leave it be now. Doesn't look too much different other than a little dirt removed.
Good for you for making a decision and going for it. I too have a hard time leaving them crusty but would never steer someone into cleaning and be responsible for having them ruin a coin. Especially a first coin! Happy New Year

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. I was lucky I found my first the 3rd time I went detecting. Haven't found one since.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw it will get very dry looking and you can use a small dab of Vaseline to make it a little better looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread