First Large Cent 1856 - with die cracks?

surprman

Apr 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III
Hi all,

I went out to the park were I got the revolver ball and barber dime this past weekend

( http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,249917.msg1788437.html#msg1788437 )

Those two items were about 100 feet apart from each other. I was just about in the middle of those two locations and I got a quarter / half dollar signal (on my prism III). I cut a plug, turned over the turf and scanned. The signal was still in the hole. The soil was loose clay and gravel so I scooped out some and put it on my tarp. scanned the hole and no signal. I scanned over the pile and it read half dollar. (The pile was really not very big- how did I miss something that reads a half dollar???) Sure enough, right on top of the pile was a large cent. 1856 - just made it! This park has been hit by a number of other people- I am shocked that I found one here. Here are the pics:

Obverse:
1856 Large Cent Obv 001.jpg

Reverse (in better shape I think):

1856 Large Cent Rev 001.jpg

It wasn't until I scanned the first picture that I noticed what look like die cracks running from the bottom of the 6 up and to the left through the 1 and the 8. What do you think?

Here is a closer view:

1856 Large Cent - die crack 001.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Surprman

Upvote 0

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh that must of been a good feeling to dig that beauty. BIG CONGRATS on that L>C :hello2:

OP
OP
surprman

surprman

Apr 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III
crazyjarhead said:
WTG on your first LC :icon_sunny:

Thanks! - as this and your recent Barber dime proves, no place is ever completely hunted out!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking LC. Congrats..........Hogge :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread