JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been researching a large field (about 30-40 acres) that once was home to at least three families. The houses are long gone but I found a local soil map that gives a general location. I finally got chance to try and locate one of the sites the other day and had a nice afternoon of detecting. My first non trash signal was a 1943 Mercury dime, followed shortly by a couple of unreadable wheat cents. About 10 yards from the spot where I dug the merc I got a great copper signal and there in the hole was what I hoped would be my first datable large cent. Unfortunately as I cleaned it slightly, I could already tell that this one would give up little or no detail. I dug one more penny, an old stop watch, and nothing but trash for the next hour so I left and headed for home to clean my LC? After soap, warm water, a peroxide bath, soap and water again along with a light cleaning with a soft brush ... the verdict is in ~ my 5th large copper (1st of this year) and this one has not a trace of detail left except the hole someone put in it to hang around their neck ... at least I had the joy of unearthing it!

Attachments

• JonestownMar23rd09.jpg
    JonestownMar23rd09.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 305
  • Jonestown2Mar23rd09.jpg
    Jonestown2Mar23rd09.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 302
  • LCSide1JonestownMar23rd09.jpg
    LCSide1JonestownMar23rd09.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 268
  • LCSide2JonestownMar23rd09.jpg
    LCSide2JonestownMar23rd09.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Nice going Jim!
Your research is definitely going to pay off.
Good Luck!
Mike

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Nice LC! Love seeing the posts with ALL the digs and a bit of dirt for good measure. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread