First loop shank button...1/2 butterfly buckle

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found my first loop shank button and what I think is 1/2 of a two piece women's belt buckle with cattails. This site was first settled in 1900. Could these finds be that old? The button is paper thin. I am not an expert in these type of buttons, any suggestions welcomed. Thanks image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 6

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I don't know about the buckle but that button dates to 1820 or older. The 1 Piece Button went out of use by about 1820. They were replaced by the 2 Piece Button due to it's durability and flexibility in designs ok. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I don't know about the buckle but that button dates to 1820 or older. The 1 Piece Button went out of use by about 1820. They were replaced by the 2 Piece Button due to it's durability and flexibility in designs ok. PEACE:RONB
Thank you for your response... I'm shocked! Really?! This button is the oldest thing I have ever found! I have found over 300 metal work buttons in a 1912 R.R. Logging camp here in Western Wa that burned in a fire...not a single loop shank. Finding a 1800's button in Wa State....I'll take it!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds!

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds...I think I have the same sash buckle!
No way! What does the other side look like!?! I can image the same image, but I'd love to see the back. Also, do you mind telling me what state it was found?

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button and that is definitely half of a butterfly buckle

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you relic hunter.
I think the button has fern fronds, curious if anyone agrees

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are a couple of great finds. I have a few of the half pieces of Butterfly sash buckles. Haven't seemed to be able to find both parts of one yet.

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are a couple of great finds. I have a few of the half pieces of Butterfly sash buckles. Haven't seemed to be able to find both parts of one yet.
I was lucky enough to find a complete sash buckle in a 1913 R.R. Logging camp. It took a month between finding both halves image.jpg image.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread