First MD...first day and first find

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, so today was a big day for me. I finally received my first metal detector. I have been wanting to do this for decades and now in the proud owner of a Garrett a T pro. After assembly I went out around my yard, my house was built in 1932, and my very first fine was this. It is part of a Syracuse chilled plow. The company started in 1879 until it was bought out by John Deere in 1909, Even before a pulltab or bottle cap. My wife and I went to a local beach which is on a freshwater pond. Didn't find much but finally got our first Pulltab and our first coin which was a rare 2016 clad penny. I guess I'll have to hang up the metal detector because it can only get worse in this. Ha ha
We had trouble in the wet sand. Signals bouncing from 16 to 84. We dig and dig and dig and could never find anything for the most part. I constantly was ground balancing thinking that may have been the problem. I switch between "standard" and pro mod's. obviously I need another 195 hours on the machine to figure it out. The next thing I need to figure out is how to post the picture here. After typing all this I don't want to do it again so once I figure out how to post a photograph I will follow it up

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on getting a great detector :icon_thumleft: They are a great series, just got the AT Gold myself. Keep swinging you'll find stuff. Did you mess with sensitivity? That might explain the erratic signals.

OP
OP
H

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_2738.JPG IMG_2741.JPG here are a couple pictures of my find from yesterday

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a great machine there.

I've had my AT Pro for 5+ years now, and quite like it...........although I have just upgraded to a CTX 3030.

Pro zero is the mode that you will want to always operate in. It will take a while to get used to, but trust me it's worth it.

Make sure you know how to pin point your target with your AT Pro, as that will make things a lot easier for you.

Have you got your self a handheld pin pointer, like the Garret Carrot? If you can afford one, then I would highly recommend getting on, as it will make locating your finds a lot easier.

Somebody recently asked for help in pin pointing target with their machine, and here is my reply to that.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/535837-frustrated-plz-help-2.html#post5350486

Hopefully that helps.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I also meant to tell you that your pictures are showing up sideways, because you have most likely posted them from your phone.

Try saving the photos to your computer and then posting them, or downsizing your current photo to make them show up in the right direction.

OP
OP
H

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, my machine came with a very unfunctional pin pointer. I called a local place about 40 miles from me and they were sold out. Can't wait to get the Garrett carrot. We had a lot of rain overnight and today and I went out to some fields but when digging it just became mud. Within a waterproof 10 pointer I'm sure I would've found my target Thanks

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread