First Merc!

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
A little while ago I got a nickel bag with a bunch of proofs in it. I went back to that same bank and got their bag of dimes. I ended up with eight proofs: 1975,1980,1982,1985,1986,1987,1988 and 1990. In the bag, I also found three silver FDRs: 1957,1961D and 1962D. I also found my first mercury dime. A 1936.
IMG_1560.JPG
IMG_1562.JPG
IMG_1561.JPG

A two and a half cent piece:
IMG_1556.JPG

What country is this coin from?
IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1558.JPG

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, congrats on your first Merc FG!! Well done. I hope it is the first of many to come. That is amazing about all of the proofs....nickels and dimes.

That's funny about about the 2 1/2 cent piece. Thanks for the pictures.

Good luck and keep em coming.............

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
United Arab Emirates it is i think it is a 1 dirham
62-49.jpg
the only info i could find was for a different year....yours is 19??
2001 The 25th anniversary of the unification of the UAE Armed Forces 50 silver 40 40 0.925
2001 The 25th anniversary of the unification of the UAE Armed Forces 1 cupronickel 24 6.4 N/A
it also looks like it is an off center punch

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mistergee said:
United Arab Emirates it is i think it is a 1 dirham

the only info i could find was for a different year....yours is 19??
2001 The 25th anniversary of the unification of the UAE Armed Forces 50 silver 40 40 0.925
2001 The 25th anniversary of the unification of the UAE Armed Forces 1 cupronickel 24 6.4 N/A
it also looks like it is an off center punch

I disagree with your assessment. Every UAE coin that I can find a picture of has the words "UNITED ARAB EMIRATES" plainly visible whereas the coin found does not. By looking at the bird on the one side, it very closely resembles coins from Syria. However, I cannot find a picture of one that matches on both sides.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
sorry Gman but UAE it is. it is a commemorative Dirham. the first clue to me was the eagle on the reverse as alot of UAE coins were minted in the states. the pic i posted was from "coin world" go there and look under United Arab Emirates.....scroll down to km#49...while the date isn't the same...nearly everthing else is.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mistergee said:
sorry Gman but UAE it is. it is a commemorative Dirham. the first clue to me was the eagle on the reverse as alot of UAE coins were minted in the states. the pic i posted was from "coin world" go there and look under United Arab Emirates.....scroll down to km#49...while the date isn't the same...nearly everthing else is.

I still disagree.

First, I have not come across a single UAE coin picture that does not have "UNITED ARAB EMIRATES" written in clear english which the one we are trying to identify does not have.

Second, the eagle you mention looks A LOT closer to the eagle on the following syrian coin. I still believe it's syrian, but I can't find a pic that matches.

Attachments

• 173-120_2.jpg
    173-120_2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 284
OP
OP
FingerGrime

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
I think I figured out the coin. I believe it is a United Arab Republic (A short-lived union between Egypt and Syria) coin. It was established in 1958 and was dissolved about two years later.
http://www.joelscoins.com/mideast.htm

Look at the close-up pictures of the proof set. The smallest denomination is the coin that I have, although the proof set coin seems to be made of a different material.
http://cgi.ebay.com/EGYPT-UNITED-AR...422a9b&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ht_2386wt_1165

Looks like I get to keep my two-and-a-half cent piece!

OP
OP
FingerGrime

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
silvercop said:
hey i like tour nickname....how did you come up with that? searching too many rolls perhaps?? ;D ;D

Yep. Although I don't really think there is such a thing as "too many rolls".
I plan on getting a better avatar, one with some REALLY nasty fingers, but I can't seem to keep from washing my hands several times throughout my hunting. There are some pretty nasty coins out there...

coincrazed said:
I probably will kill nickels the rest of the year,and hit dimes next year. - coincrazed

Stay away from my nickels, jerk! ;D

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting that 2 1/2 cent piece if I have to go to Syria myself!!!

Here's a blowup of the date on your coin:

IMG_1557.JPG

the numbers read from left to right (unlike arabic writing, which is right to left). Your numbers are:
wahid, tisa'a, saba'a, ithnain or 1972.

If your UAR only existed from 1958-1960, why would they have a coin that says 1972?

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to say congrats on the Merc. So....CONGRATS MAN!!!! That's a great score!!

Kindest Regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
FingerGrime

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
golden silver said:
Hey man I think that foreign coin is giving you the bird. ;D

Golden Silver

lol!

Kantuckkeean said:
I'm getting that 2 1/2 cent piece if I have to go to Syria myself!!!

Here's a blowup of the date on your coin:

the numbers read from left to right (unlike arabic writing, which is right to left). Your numbers are:
wahid, tisa'a, saba'a, ithnain or 1972.

If your UAR only existed from 1958-1960, why would they have a coin that says 1972?

Well, I know nothing about arabic...but it don't you think it looks identical to the auction picture coin??
Also, it seems as though Egypt used the name United Arab Republic until 1971 (after Syria left the union)...but that's not 1972 is it?
I can't seem to find a Syrian coin exactly like the one I have though.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an exciting find whatever the heck it turns out to be. You don't see either the Merc or the 1972 SYRIAN coin ;) every day. I honestly couldn't see the pic of the "identical coin of different material". The resolution on my computer for that one wasn't good enough.

I've said my last. Please let us know when you do get a definitive diagnosis.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread