Jul 10, 2016
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 2TRDX (Yeah, it's old)~
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello!

I'm new so maybe this should be an intro thread, but I wanted to ask about metal detectors as I am trying to decide which one to get. I am hoping to get some input on what features would be most important in my area. Anyway, here is my situation:

I actually had a metal detector when I was a kid, but it was a super cheap kids model and I didn't do much with it and didn't know where to hunt. Now, thirty years later I live on an old farmstead (house built in 1910) and it just occurred to me that there might be some cool old stuff to be found here. Also, my in-laws are farmers and they own land that includes three old home sites (two of them still standing). I don't know about my house, but it's safe to assume theirs have never been hunted.

So, I would like to get a metal detector and start hunting, but I have some homework to do. I figure some of the places I will be hunting might be pretty trashy, so I'm trying to figure out what detector (my budget is in the $400 range) would be best suited for me. I have been reading online and it sounds like something called "ground balance" might be important? Any input on what features to look for would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I will keep reading what I can find. Thanks!

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a new or used Tesoro. Look at Tesoro Vaquero and Outlaw (I have Vaquero). They're both relatively simple, somewhat old fashioned (no target id), but very good quality and highly functional. Both have a manual ground balance, adjustable threshold, sensitivity and very good discrimination. Tesoro also offers a limited LIFETIME WARRANTY to original buyers.
If you're going to search trashy areas, get one of the 5.75" coils along with it. Tesoro offers that size coil in a DD (they call it widescan), and also a concentric. I like both, but the widescan is easier to use in areas with mineralization and small hot rocks.

I'm sure others will recommend Garrett, Whites, Fisher, whatever. They all offer models with target ID, but you probably won't find any more with them, than you will with a good Tesoro. ^_^

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope this helps!

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This question is asked here all of the time so if you search you will find tons of good responses. My advice to new people is to buy a cheap detector that will get you into the hobby then when and if you decide you want to stick with it upgrade to something better. I recommend the bounty hunter tracker because its under $100. Its as deep as the other low range detectors in your price range, it just lacks the features...but those features arent important to you as a beginner anyway. You need to learn to listen to the tones at this point. If you decide you love the hobby you will want to upgrade to a mid or high level machine which are all above $500 to over $1000+. Even if you buy a $400 detector now you will want to upgrade if you get into it...so buy cheap so you dont lose a lot of money. Plus remember you need a scoop/shovel, bag, clothes/boots, pinpointer, etc. and that stuff can get expensive. Some people pay $400 for just their scoop. When I first started I bought a $60 bounty hunter tracker. It was a great entry machine and in 3 months I bought a $1500 machine. I then let friends use that bounty hunter for a few years when they would want to detect with me and I ended up selling it for $40 at a yard sale and got someone else into the hobby. Its a great starter and you wont lose money/break the bank if you buy it.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice on the ACE 250 as a starter unit. I found a lot of goodies when I started with that machine. Can probably pick up a half decent used 250 for minimal cash outlay. Get some cheap ear buds (with volume dial ) and a plug in adapter from a dollar store for it, or the noises will drive people nuts, particularly in town. If the hobby bites you hard, then you can sink bigger bucks into the fancier stuff....if you feel the need, and most do later. The site/location is as important, or more so, than the machine used.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The Ace250 was functional, and worked fine, but I felt limited by it - gave it to my cousin and he's now found 3 gold rings and a gold necklace in beach sand - so it definitely works. Though I followed him on a sand bar and he found one coin, and I found eleven with my high dollar gizmo.

If you're looking to the future, I suggest you go with a reputable machine with manual ground balancing and multi-tones. The Ace has only a bell tone = boring after a while....

But! The Ace and the others as well work fine in their simplicity.

OP
OP
S

Spark73

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2016
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that I have learned more about the available features on these machines, I know better what key words to search the forum with, so I may have been a little premature in posting the question.

A $400.00 scoop!? Wow! I was planning on using a spade and a garden trowel. Anyway, good advice on the cheap detector, and I definitely would not want to start without a pinpointer.

Thanks again

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that I have learned more about the available features on these machines, I know better what key words to search the forum with, so I may have been a little premature in posting the question.

A $400.00 scoop!? Wow! I was planning on using a spade and a garden trowel. Anyway, good advice on the cheap detector, and I definitely would not want to start without a pinpointer.

Thanks again

Spark73, best of luck in your search for the right detector and that elusive treasure.
I've been playing with detectors for a couple months now and having lots of fun traveling and digging. Found some pretty cool places to play in and dug some interesting goodies. ^_^
Something about the Tesoro line that I just liked, and they've been working well for me. You can't go wrong with any of those detectors recommended. Have fun!

OP
OP
S

Spark73

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2016
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys! Thanks for the replies. Nice video, Terry! Lots of good info!
I was thinking about starting in the cheaper range and going with an ACE 250, but then I spent a couple of days reading and watching videos to learn more about how the different types of detectors in my price range work. Now I find myself really drawn to the Tesoro Vaquero. When pinenut first mentioned the Tesoro line I didn't think much about it, but now I can see why they have the following that they do. It really seems like you get a lot of functionality for the money. At around $450.00, it might a bit of a jump at the beginning, but a machine with the kind of tuning features like the Vaquero wouldn't likely be something I would "grow out of" any time soon. Besides, there are used ones out there!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use mine almost every day. The Vaquero is an awesome detector, and equipped with the new 11" x 8" Widescan Coil it is a straight up deep silver killer! :occasion14:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use mine almost every day. The Vaquero is an awesome detector, and equipped with the new 11" x 8" Widescan Coil it is a straight up deep silver killer! :occasion14:

....and I found small silver with my Vaquero, yesterday evening. I like mine so much, I bought another! If you're going to search in heavy trash, do consider a Tesoro 5.75" coil to supplement the 11x8. I think it's much easier to use in trashy spots. Around me, the 5.75 widescan is my preferred coil, though you may want the concentric. Do some reading on those.

When I was looking into getting my first detector a few months back, and mentioned that I was considering Tesoro Vaquero or Tejon, Terry said "get the Vaquero"... I got the Tejon instead, and while it's also a great (though more fussy) detector, I was soon curious about Vaquero and bought one. That Vaquero is presently my favorite (though my Eldorado is a close second..). ^_^

iaddrummer

Aug 12, 2015
robinson illinois
Detector(s) used
bh 202 and just bought an original tesoro eldorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fisher f22 is an awesome detector in my opinion a better machine in the same price point as the ace

OP
OP
S

Spark73

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2016
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, since I'm on a tight budget I decided to get a used detector cheap to get me started. I still want that Vaquero! Anyway, I picked up an old White's Coinmaster. After I bought it, I realized it was older than I thought it was. I can't find any info on the date code but I'm now thinking it is early to mid '70's. Oh well, it does work so now I can start swinging while I'm saving for a Vaquero. First I need to get a pinpointer though...

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks again

Expensive scoops are for guys that hunt in the water, not on your agenda [although you can go knee deep with most detectors so long as you don't dunk the housing, which will kill it].

I personally would recommend the Ace 400 and the garrett orange pinpointer. For ground digging I use mostly a stout 5 in 1 paint tool, can cut some precise plugs. For areas that nice neat plugs aren't a concern I use a fold out surplus army shovel.

OP
OP
S

Spark73

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2016
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, that old Coinmaster is VERY basic. It only has a Mineral-Metal knob, battery check, and volume control. And it runs on FOURTEEN AA batteries. Anyway, I took it out and dug some trash plus 1 quarter and three pennies, all 1959- and later, so it does work.

But- the Vaquero will have to wait a little longer because an Ace 250 just popped up on CL for $125. It's three years old, but used only once or twice. It still has the box, papers, and not even scuff on the bottom of the coil (well, it does now):laughing7:

Oh yeah, now for the pinpointer...

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I know you already bought one, but my advice to anyone else who comes across this thread is to get the best detector within your budget. I started off with a Whites Classic II and *thought* I was doing pretty good. Little did I know all the things I was missing with that detector. It's kind of like someone who wants to lift their truck. They end up going conservative and end up spending twice as much because they end up lifting it again.

If you find out that detecting isn't for you. Just sell it, but give it the best chance first by getting the best within your budget.

OP
OP
S

Spark73

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2016
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I know you already bought one, but my advice to anyone else who comes across this thread is to get the best detector within your budget. I started off with a Whites Classic II and *thought* I was doing pretty good. Little did I know all the things I was missing with that detector. It's kind of like someone who wants to lift their truck. They end up going conservative and end up spending twice as much because they end up lifting it again.

If you find out that detecting isn't for you. Just sell it, but give it the best chance first by getting the best within your budget.

I agree that you should get the best within your budget, but there are so many choices out there, it's hard to know what features are most important to you without some detecting experience, and I think the ACE is functional enough for me to spend some time with. The Vaquero is appealing to me right now but after detecting for a while I might decide to go a different direction, who knows. Besides, if I discover detecting isn't for me I only have $125 invested in this machine.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, since I'm on a tight budget I decided to get a used detector cheap to get me started. I still want that Vaquero! Anyway, I picked up an old White's Coinmaster. After I bought it, I realized it was older than I thought it was. I can't find any info on the date code but I'm now thinking it is early to mid '70's. Oh well, it does work so now I can start swinging while I'm saving for a Vaquero. First I need to get a pinpointer though...

If you really can't find an owners manual online, from White's even, then SOMEONE (hint) on this forum should be able to help you!
Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread