First of the year

Duce114

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The day was windy and + 6 but i had to go out. I drove half an hour east to an old park with a stone house. First hole with my garret at was a roof nail. Second hole was a piece of strapping. Too windy in the opening and local traffic buggering me up. I shifted six miles south and one east till i hit a prarie trail and spotted an old relic of a farm within trees. Had to look. Ps. My local area so if anyone came they probably would be happy to see me even though i should have had land owner permission haha.
Anyways i i was set to find all so from an old shed to the old house foundation was nothing more than iron machinery relics and tin cans. House foundation was no better other than ornate relics of beautiful pot belly wood stove. Would have loved complete pieces. Anyways it was a junky yard no good finds so it led me 3 miles east to an old school. Think it was originally 1912. I knew better but i started at the bottom of the stairs and low an behold since im new to the garret at it loves aluminum. I found a pop tab.. Typical. So i went to the back stairs all fudged. Signals everywhere. First was hard to find but remembered i had a pinpointer. Ahhh there it is. A button. Looks offa an old pair of jeans above the fly. Poor kid. Ok so many more beeps. An old button jacket type. Then bang. A 1947 george cdn nickle. Thought it was first silver of the year but looking i guess its not. Downer. So along time some tinfoil and window-roofing parts been thrown around i found some of that. But nothing of the period for coins. Finally the sun was out and wind dying down so i drove away towards home knowing of one more spot. 45 minutes of slow driving down back roads scoping out new sites i come to my last destination of the day and i had about an hour and ahalf till it was dusk. I had been here brieftly before. It was a 1900s brick school. I tried around the walls and found all junk. This time i parked about 150 ft away. I pulled out my detector turned it on and bing. Right there. I dug it up and i havent figured it out yet but i found a lever action from a gun. Its big solid cast so im not sure if the old pellit bb guns had that or if i found part of an old rifel. Didnt see any reminents of wood and no other metal like the berrel around. Now that wasnt the big thing that was weird but no more than 3 ft away bing. It said it was big. I dug. Stuck my digger shovel in the ground and at about 3 inchs i hit it. I pulled my digger back an inch and grazed it and moved over an inch and stuck it in. Pulled back lifting the sod an inch and stuck my hand in. Ok. Now my lady is standing there.. Well what is it.. I can feel it so bang i pulled it out and held it up.. A giant horse shoe.. Ok.. I gotta have luck now. Well. I found where someone either parked or emptied an ashtray of beer caps cause they were 3 inches down an many of them. So i moved closer to the school to find an unmarked button metal trash an finally a shingle nail pointing im too close to do any good. I had a beer enjoyed scenery and enjoyed my day. Ohh. Inbetween some of these finds the lady ventured off on her thing but returned with 3 cooked hotdogs no ketchup but enjoyable. Guess she did the thinking before hand. Thanx for that. All in all i had bullit casings nails horse shoe. And buttons. This an that. Big find 47 nickle. Gratefull for that ( and the hotdogs) but you know. We got out and didnt sit around the backyard drinking beer. In the future i will take my garret at and the junk i found and delete it in the custom mode. Dont get me wrong i have a 1903 silver from last year and well gold rings from my past to make sure i get the settings right. But like they say to the garret at. You need time to make it stick. Dont jump to conclusions. Happy hunting all 👍

Last edited:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
imagesJ1R2ZVLA.jpg