First Outing BGT Prospector

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finally got out to use my BGT.. Here's my short review on it. Depending on where you want to set up it's not too difficult to set up though you have to be sure there's no gravel that's going to roll into the bottom thing and plug it up. I set up and ran most of the day only doing a couple clean outs. Ran fine at first but after my first clean up I tried setting it up the same way and failed because my little dam collapsed :BangHead: I ended up giving up and ran with less flow than it should have had. Man that thing is a water hog! Had to help the rocks over the bars for the last part of the day. Also if you dig in clay that causes a lot of silt just upstream of where your box is sitting your tubes will clog up very very fast. The main thing that bothers me with BGTs is that you can't see when you get nuggets. Or at least nuggets that are small enough to pass into the trap. Was a problem for me today because I ran a bunch of material and did a clean up and had some nice chunks in there so I was like wonder where that came from... :icon_scratch: If it were a normal sluice you'd see the piece as soon as it hit the box. BGTs are also a bit heavy IMO. Other than that... It catches gold well so I can't complain. Here's what I got. 4 grams.

10421113_929488090411622_7789672024386516334_n.jpg

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's just the gold they pre load the sluice with at the factory! Just kidding! Looks like your on good ground!

Bryan V

Dec 13, 2009
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice chunky gold! 4 grams is good for sluicing.
Not much fine stuff in there. Is that common from the spot you worked
or was the sluice not holding the small stuff?
what model do you have?

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice chunky gold! 4 grams is good for sluicing.
Not much fine stuff in there. Is that common from the spot you worked
or was the sluice not holding the small stuff?
what model do you have?

I have the smaller prospector. The spot I went to doesn't have fines mostly chunky stuff.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Might clog that trap with Chunky gold lol

Bryan V

Dec 13, 2009
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the smaller prospector. The spot I went to doesn't have fines mostly chunky stuff.
Ya I saw that after I posted. I have been eyeballing the BGT for awhile but holding off to see if they come out
with a highbanker kit for it.
I emailed them but have not received any response.
I had wondered about the lack of visible nugget trap too.
I like to see what I'm getting from the areas I'm working.
Maybe a strip of. V Mat would give some visual without screwing up the flow.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geesh... 4 grams...

HOLY CRAP! That's a nice run. I have no sympathy for your issues though. heheh
with 4 grams an outing you're almost at an ounce a week if you can keep that up.
I hear you on seeing it, but you know it's there. Post more pictures of your fabulous gold though. Well done!

Campngolf

Feb 4, 2014
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the BGT Club. Even with the issues you had, looks like you did very well. My limited experience is it gets easy getting the proper flow and angle each time on the river. In fact, with each clean out and reset, I'm learning little tricks.

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kinda sounds like you don't have any reason to complain, IMHO.

4 grams is a lot of gold these days...

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chunky Gold, Chunky Gold, Chunky Gold..........

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kinda surprised you didn't see those slugs run down the plate. Time to start digging in this cool, cloudy break in the weather!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions