Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First outing of 2015 - Half Real/Cufflink, Coppers, Rifleman's Button

Hello All, I finally got my upgraded F75 back after two trips to First Texas. The first time it came back, it wouldn’t ground balance, so I had to send it back again and they expedited the turnaround. They completely refurbished my beat up old machine with new housings, display, armrest, etc. It looked like a new machine :thumbsup:

This past Saturday, I had a chance to take it for a test drive at a couple of my well pounded sites. This was also my first time out in 2015. The first place has a lot of EMI along one edge of the field due to some power lines. The F-75 ran nice and quiet with the Sensitivity maxed out and the Disc at 1. I was able to find a keg spigot key and a little silver pin with some glass stones. It is not marked “sterling”, does that make it older? After fighting the corn stubble at this site for a couple hours, I moved on to another site where I had found a couple War of 1812 cuff size Rifleman’s buttons in December. I went to the area where they had been found and right off the bat I found another one. A short time later, I found a 1781 half real that had been made into a cufflink. The owner must have needed money because there are just a couple of nubs where the shank was and they are smooth from circulation. This is my third half real cufflink, two of them having been converted back into money. I included a picture of all three below. In the process of putting the coin in my case, I dropped it. I figured I would just find it again with my metal detector. I searched for that thing for an hour at least. I pulled the mud from the bottoms of my boots in case I might have stepped on it. I scraped the turf off an area 4’ x 4’ shook the grass and rescanned everything. I checked my trash pocket on the side of my pants in case it had fallen in there. Just when I was resigned to the fact I had lost it, I checked the trash pocket more carefully and there it was! The detecting Gods were making sport of me, and I’m sure they got a good laugh :laughing7:

The next day I returned after the temps warmed up and found a draped Bust LC, a Virginia Halfpenny, a thimble, a couple more buttons and few small caliber musket balls. Overall I am happy with the upgrade, although I wasn’t impressed with the FA (fast) mode. I think I am getting more depth running at full bore sensitivity and the lack of chirps and pops if a lot easier on the ears.

Attachments

• 1.All.JPG
    1.All.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 2.Half real -front.jpg
    2.Half real -front.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 3.Half real - back.jpg
    3.Half real - back.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 4.Three Real Cuffs.JPG
    4.Three Real Cuffs.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 130
  • 5.Coppers - front.JPG
    5.Coppers - front.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 10.Copper in Dirt.jpg
    10.Copper in Dirt.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 9.Half Real in Dirt.jpg
    9.Half Real in Dirt.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 8.Button Book.JPG
    8.Button Book.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 7.Riflemans.JPG
    7.Riflemans.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 6.Coppers - back.JPG
    6.Coppers - back.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 14

jhumbert40

Sep 13, 2012
Bayville New Jersey
Detector(s) used
whites m-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great finds.....I am looking to head out that way this spring....Do some prospecting...Have few places in mind...

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet digs, Congrats. I think the Reale cuff link is so cool, and you've found 3 of them, amazing! Adds a more personal touch than just finding the coin! Congrats on the cool variety of finds!

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!! That copper to the left of the big one is a 1773 Virginia half cent. I know this because I have one. Definitely cool!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like first hunt with a new or overhauled detector always produces something good, maybe it is that we try harder that first time. :) Steve, excellent finds on your first two hunts of the year, love the fact you got your third Half Real cufflink converted coin. I never found that type of War of 1812 button and would love to find one. Good hunt............................

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a great start to the season Steve! Love the half real Cufflink. Great variety there buddy. Hopefully an indicator of things to come bud

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve, I do believe you are 100% ready for Spring digging. Like it all but especially the buttons. Now, what do you think about your enhanced F75??? WTG, Q.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, I do believe you are 100% ready for Spring digging. Like it all but especially the buttons. Now, what do you think about your enhanced F75??? WTG, Q.
Quindy,

So far so good. If I can squeeze some more relics out of some of my pounded spots, and find at least one more virgin spot, I'll have a good spring!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Steve, nice group of finds. Love the cuff link and that 1812 button. That's a great hunt!

Don

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's some nice stuff Steve. Your off to a good start

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's quite an impressive hunt Steve. Great bunch of coins and I love that button (especially since I've never dug one). Your silver coin reminds me of the very first colonial silver I ever recovered. Mine was also a half reale with a glob of solder on one side. Nicely done, and it looks like you're gonna really do well with the upgraded machine.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds Steve. My wife accidentally dropped one of my super nice halfpennies in the field and I had to search for a while to find it. So been there done that. lol

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Stevie boy that is what im talking about:headbang:
Out there already killing it with those finds man..Love the cuff and that Rifleman's button you dont see much..
Looks like a banner year for you.

Thanks for the Nectar....

~Blaze~

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!! That copper to the left of the big one is a 1773 Virginia half cent. I know this because I have one. Definitely cool!
Don, I will keep pounding the area where the Rifleman's buttons are coming out in hopes of finding a coat size one. So far there have been three of the cuff size and a pewter script I in poor condition come out of that little section of the field.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on some excellent Finds! :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I missed this last week when I was in VA. WTG! That's certianly a Steve kind of hunt right there. :)

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing finds Steve! :thumbsup:

Great background history on your finds, it's always nice to be able to get an ID on a heavily worn relic.
The half real being re-purposed as a cufflink is a cool find too! :o

Best of luck to you this year,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread