Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I got the new PI Dual yesterday, so I figured I'd try to familiarize myself with it on a could of lake beaches near my home...
First beach I hit really hard twice with my Excal in the past couple months.. I found several of those hair bands with the little metal connector on them. I was surprised at how solid the signal was from such a small piece of metal... I found a couple bobby pins, and like everyone said, they produced a double blip, but I noticed only if I swept the coil moderately fast. If I swept slow and short, like I would with the Excal to pinpoint, it just gave off a single blip, so I dug thinking maybe it was a pocket spill... Nope..
Then, I started noticing what I think people refer to as "whispers'..The machine was set with pulse at minimum (factory marked setting) and noticed the threshold is not a smooth hum, but kind of chattery.. Maybe increasing the pulse width would smooth tha out? I am used to the smooth threshold hum of the Excal I guess..
Anyway, I heard a faint tone, but solid, and dug 3 scoops down. As I dug down, it got louder and more solid.. 3rd scoop and up comes a nice gold bracelet!! I though, "no way, my first time out with it and I find another gold bracelet?"... But alas, a closer look back at the truck shows a 14k GP marking... Dayum...
Found a dime at a good 16" with it, which impressed me.. But found nothing more.. Pretty clean beach..

Then comes the other beach... OMG.. I couldnt even hunt near the dock, it was like having the MXT with a huge coil near a barbeque shed!!! So I moved out a bit, and still, signals everywhere.. Nail here, screw there, bottle cap there, etc... Cant say I wasnt warned!! LOL...
But digging tons of signals wasnt my irritation.. What was irritating, was none of it would stay in my scoop (1/2" holes).. I really need to do something about that.. I'm sure most of them were junk, small pieces of iron, etc., but some of them could very well have been gold earring backs, or studs, etc.. The water was hideously dirty, and I could barely see the yellow coil in 3 feet of water, let alone a small stud..
The only complaint I would have of this machine is not digging iron, but that it has no volume control.. I am hard of hearing, and it just isnt quite loud enough.. When the wind wasnt blowing, it was fine, but when the wind whipped up, I had a hard time hearing it, I cant imagine what a pounding surf AND wind would do.. Why didnt they make it with a volume??
The floating coil does work the arms, but I am hoping the straight shaft I am going to put on it will make that better.. The "S" handle on any detector is not the best ergonomically for long hunts.. They also should have placed the headphone wire at the back of the unit, instead of in the front with the coil wire. I kind of hangs up on my arm when swinging.
All in all, I think I am going to be glad that I have added this machine to my arsenal..

So here is a pic of what I came home with... Two solid hours of hunting..

Attachments

• 07-20-10 finds with PI.jpg
    07-20-10 finds with PI.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 461
Upvote 0

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
you will get used to it..... I dig every whisper too... found lots of coins at one lake.. all 7-9 inches deep.... I know a guy who hits this tiny beach hard.. but he must not be able to reach these deeper coins.. just keep at it.. typically rings and coins blast u out....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver Surfer keep us up on your adventures with the PI, I was impressed with Finderzzs Df..I showed him my Peltors Headphones upgrade on my excal...he went crazy with how well they block out the back ground noise of the beach. You may want to do the convert after the warranty. Helps alot with the whispers...........Nice find on the deep gold.............joe

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the older pi's had a volume control in the box...

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
Silver Surfer keep us up on your adventures with the PI, I was impressed with Finderzzs Df..I showed him my Peltors Headphones upgrade on my excal...he went crazy with how well they block out the back ground noise of the beach. You may want to do the convert after the warranty. Helps alot with the whispers...........Nice find on the deep gold.............joe
Well point me to the Peltors please... If I can find enough to pay for the PI, then I would surely like to change out to something better... Or louder to be more accurate... I really like the quality of the phones on the PI... Much nicer than the Koss that come on the Excal, MUCH nicer...
I am looking forward to learning this machine... It's exciting..

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S.S.Tupperware said:
I know the older pi's had a volume control in the box...
I read that in an old thread posted on another forum, regarding a PI Pro... Inside the control box is a small set screw.. Doesnt say what it is for, so I thought maybe that was it.. Called whites, and the girl said "Oh, I dont think that is for volume, but I dont really know what it is for", and forwarded me to a tech.. I had to leave a message and will call again.. It would be great if you could just turn that screw a bit an louden things up a little...

I'll let you all know what they say...

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mums! Yeah, better than NOT finding a bracelet..... Gotta keep thinking like you!!

*UPDATE*
Just got off the phone with Todd at Whites..... YEEEEEEEEAHH!!!!!!! The volume control IS that little set screw in the box.... Tweaked it and man oh man, it made all the difference in the world!!!!
Gonna go hit that lake again and try to find that ladies ring for her... Also going to take my "florida sifter" to see what all that little stuff is that was falling through my scoop... Gonna mod the scoop a bit too... Maybe I will start finding some nice earring studs...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
These would help in the ruff surf where there is alot of ambient noise..glad it has a volume control.........looking forward to updates.....Joe

Attachments

• peltors 101 infinium.jpg
    peltors 101 infinium.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 388

h2ojunkie

Jul 7, 2010
Honolulu
Detector(s) used
Excal II, DF
Not trying to hijack your thread S.S...I use a DF as well BTW. Oh yeah and your going to love the straight shaft :wink: OldeBeachnut, are the Peltors dive worthy (good under the water)?

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I welded up a straight shaft, it is a good bit longer than the stock. I find I am gettin 20 pct more targets with the increased swing length. That I would be missing other wise... not bad in the surf, when ya find a target you do need to choke up a lil, but its not bad.
PC210010-1.jpg

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Peltors are earmuffs, empty shells, for hearing protection. You take the stock headphones, say the excal which can be used underwater, gut them, take all the wiring install in the peltors. Very cheap mod, and one if you hunt the ocean Beach's where there is back ground noise they makes a world of difference. Grave Digger Max just had a set converted by Mr. GoldMaster..he was shocked at the improvement. Now as far as underwater and how well they work, I will say they stay on your head and need very little adjustment. If your stock phones are waterproof on your detector, take the wiring and install in the peltors .....I would say you can't beat them and you retain the original sounds. I have seen a very nice set of Underwaters on Tnet here by the Bulgerain so If you don't think you can do the conversion, you may want to look at them. Excellent workmanship and some swear by them. I will be doing a Video of the conversion soon with a set of excal yellow phones, a very easy mod with the excals...the infinium had volume controls for each ear and the wires were very thin..a real pain, done a few excals, and plan one with the cz 20 also. Once you have used them you want to change every detector.........and the price is right.............................joe

Sorry Silver Surfer...Good Luck with the New PI, heard it's a great machine....check out CJC's Book on Pulse Power, he gather alot of info on this machine and put it in writing, good reading..

Attachments

• em.jpg
    em.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 333

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
Silver, In reply to the whispers comments on the machine. I'm wondering if its the ground balancing. I get the same noise if the coil comes of the ground at all. It gets a little annoying in the troughs in the water and in cuts and stuff like that but after a few trips you get used to it. Also in the dry sand if the sand is real bumpy I get that noise also. With the auto ground balancing its just the machine re-calibrating itself. The good thing about it is it reminds you to keep the coil flat.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
check out CJC's Book on Pulse Power, he gather alot of info on this machine and put it in writing, good reading..
I'm ahead of ya buddy... Ordered it the day after I ordered the PI.... Read a lot of it today, then went back to that "trashy" lake... Look for my new post..
Thanks for all the advice!

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snooksion2 said:
it does have a volume control
LOL..... I guess you didnt see the update to my first post.... Yeah, they confirmed today that the screw I suspected was a volume, was just that...
Check my post from today Dave...

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beech are the headphones SS or just chrome plated steel?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions