First personal find thread.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Just kind of curious what the first artifact folks in here found.
My first find was this pestle. I suppose most others first was something knapped or grooved.
IMG_0794.JPG IMG_0792.JPG
I am a concrete contractor and while digging out to make room for some city sidewalk I peeled the dirt right off this thing leaving one side of it completely exposed. I just thought it was a cool shaped rock and hauled it home. Wasn't till a couple years later when a friend that knew artifacts told me what it was. It is the piece that drew me into this great hobby.

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find .,.. And nice grooved axe in background ..... My first find was a Quartz point ... After a good rain it was right on top and unmistakable after that I was hooked .... At work rite now I'll post a pic of it when I get home later

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was a point I found along the Spoon river when I lived in Kewanee Illinois in the 1960s. Over all these years it was lost with all the moving I've done since then.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my very 1st artifact 1st and 2nd find 002.JPG A paddle drill and this is the 1st point I ever found 1st and 2nd find 003.JPG When I found the drill the guy that was teaching me to hunt just went nuts because of the shape of the base and it being a paddle drill. He was saying at the time a worked down Dovetail or a worked down Hardin and I was like so what it is not an arrowhead. Lol !!!!! We don't find many paddle drills in this area, they are more to the north of me. The point I found on the same day and it has grinding on the edge of the base, which at the time meant nothing to me, but now they are worth their weight in gold to me.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Broken Quartz point found while hiking in the woods on the East End of Long Island.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483046878.502095.jpg

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first find was this sweet hammerstone. I'm guessing it's because I wasn't used to seeing/finding flint so I focused more on bigger stones at first. Found it on the way back from a few hour walk about 30 yards from car. Saw the worked end down (smaller worked end, there was use on other end as well) in the mud and saw about 1/2" of the polished part around it. Spent a couple minutes kicking it out of the mud, but when I did I saw the tear drop shape and felt divots when i picked it up even though it was slathered in mud and thought it had to be something.
15782381_10158070083565397_1038206968_n.jpg 15800938_10158070083510397_1882100581_n.jpg 15820792_10158070116650397_1518667617_o.jpg

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Half a chert point split right down the middle found on a small hill in a playground in SW CT, many years ago. The amazing thing was that I eyeballed the hill which overlooked a small swamp and thought "Wow, if I was hunting, I'd set right here" and there it was, laying in a small wash out. After that, I was hooked. I spent many happy hours with my Dad, looking for points. Man, I miss him. He could always out hunt me without even trying.
HH
dts

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
That's a heck of a hammerstone!

The material looks similar to one I have too.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Nice find .,.. And nice grooved axe in background ..... My first find was a Quartz point ... After a good rain it was right on top and unmistakable after that I was hooked .... At work rite now I'll post a pic of it when I get home later

Thanks! That's a 3/4 groove maul in the background though. One of my favorite gifts ever. Weighs 13 lbs.
IMG_0804.JPG

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
This little triangle was my first point find. Found in 1999 in a rock shelter that was literally in my back yard at the time. I found a lot of nice stuff in that little shelter from Woodland to late Archaic. Been hooked ever since! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483054240.413280.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483054254.858326.jpg

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9f22a47f-ab49-4e50-9df9-1ddb5397fde9_zpspa6cejug.jpg

Found ca. 1967 in Virginia. I was a Boy Scout at Ft. Bragg, NC, and our scoutmaster arranged for us to hunt arrowheads in a farmer's field. Not too far across the NC/VA border near Kerr Lake. I think #2 was found the same day.

--Guy Power

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my first find while hunting bottles in the creek about 30 years ago. I climbed up the bank to take a leak and saw it in a sloped area laying on a fire ant bed. Grabbed it right quick and threw it in the water. Didn't know what it was but kept it since the tip had that bevel. The adjacent area was used as a borrow pit for sand back when they were building a new river bridge back in the 50s so I figure the sorta fresh looking scrape (towards the bottom in the first picture) is what brought it up. If that's the case, it's amazing that it lay there for 30 years even if the place is pretty secluded. An older local fellow stopped by to look at my bottle collection a year or two later. He was a WWI veteran who had collected arrowheads all his life, and later coins, guns and trains and had one heck of a collection. I showed it to him and he said it was a good piece, a hoe. Made my day to find something he would consider worthwhile. It measures 4" w x 9.5" l x 1" at the thickest point. Big hoes and spades are pretty common in other areas of the country, but are rarely seen down this way. I tried to show the use polish in the last pic.

As a side note, the gentleman, Mr. Fred, told me that his arrowhead collection which was huge and magnificent, was actually his second collection. When he was younger, the house they lived in out in the country burned to the ground. He estimated that he lost 5 to 7 thousand points in the fire, which were reduced to fused glasslike piles in the ruins. Most were found as a kid plowing behind a mule, so I can only imagine the quality of the finds back then.

hoe.jpg hoe1.jpg hoe2.jpg hoe3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Great stories! Nice hoe too. Not to many untrained eyes would not have given that piece a second look, glad You did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread