First pin and "Hitler coin" - From Germany

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
First pin and "Hitler coin" - From Germany

Hello all,

First post on this board. I've been detecting with my new Teknetics T2 for about 3 weeks now (Just outside Nuernberg Germany). Figure I should start posting finds on some other boards and not crowd the T2 board. Found some pretty cool moderately old German coins (about seven from the 1920's). Found my first pin ever today. My girlfriend said it might be worth something so I looked it up. A perfect one goes for 110 Euro and I'd probably only get 25 to 50 for this one, but still my most valuable relic/coin find yet. It's missing the pin part but otherwise looks pretty good.
The pin says "ARBEITSDIENST - FÖRDERER FRANKEN" on it. Supposedly it's a volunteer type of pin from the pre to WWII period. Since all the coins I've found in that area are from the 20's I'm guessing this was lost between then and WWII. Only 3 inches deep, nothing seems to sink there.
Also attaching a 1940 Deutsches Reich coin complete with Swasitka!

Earthmansurfer

Attachments

• ARBEITSDIENST FÖRDERER FRANKEN Aug.12.06.jpg
    ARBEITSDIENST FÖRDERER FRANKEN Aug.12.06.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 403
  • 1940 Deutsche Reich .05 Aug 1 06.jpg
    1940 Deutsche Reich .05 Aug 1 06.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 431
Upvote 0

digman

Jul 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
L-Rods & MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: First pin and "Hitler coin" - From Germany

Very nice finds, earthmansurfer,
but what does it mean 'ARBEITSDIENST - FÖRDERER FRANKEN', you see, we don't speak or read German that good!!
Keep searching,
Digman.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

nice finds,, i wish things didnt sink so fast here......

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

I don't know German, but the Arbeitsdienst (or Reicharbeitsdienst) was the "voluntary" labor service.

OP
OP
earthmansurfer

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Answers and a few more finds.

Digman, nhbenz said it best. Basically the first word means labor service (but it was voluntary), the "FÖRDERER" means supporter (not best or exact translation) and FRANKEN is for Frankonia, which is a region of Germany. My German is not so good though, I had to look it up too.

Right next to where I found these coins sits an ooooold house, abandoned with a large yard. I search and it is just full of trash. Below the 3 inch line is sand, so everything that once was there is not about 2 feet deep I'm guessing. Germany has alot of clay and sand. Funny what a few feet can mean.

Earthmansurfer

Few more finds below. First one basically is a retirement coin from 25, know clue why they called it that.
Next one is a 23 200 Mark, which is funny as 200 marks was like 200 dollars but during that time inflation was rampant. Bread costs thousands and thousands of Marks. Eventually they revalued it to maybe .05 or so...

Attachments

• 1925 A .10 Reichspfennig.jpg
    1925 A .10 Reichspfennig.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 257
  • 1923 200 Mark Pfennig.jpg
    1923 200 Mark Pfennig.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 248

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II

Welcome, earthmansurfer! Nice pin, but you hardly earn more than 8-10 € :'(

Looks like you are not far from me - I live in 50 km from Nürnberg

HH

Sand

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Hello EMS and welcome to TNet,
I hope that you enjoy your time here.

These are really nice finds,
looks like you are getting to know your detector well,
keep the goodies coming, best of luck to you!

Smiles!
BDoo

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great digs! The history is extremely rich here. I am leaving this winter and I will be going through withdrawls.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds EMS and welcome to TNet, this is a real nice forum! That T2 has had rave reviews. I have considered detecting Zeppelin field, mostly a park these days hosting concerts occasionally but, I have seen pics of thousands of German WWII troops there for several different occasions. If you are interested PM me and I still have 2 weeks vacation. I hope you have learned how to fill a hole properly, not implying that you do not know how to fill a hole but, must look like you were never there if we detect together. PM me or email. HH and good to hear from you, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread