First Possible Error??

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys i don't normally check the face of halves because i do huge quantities but i rang across this guy. Im not sure if this is a pmd or an actual error? What do you guys think any help is appreciated? I think it may be good... 20151007_233041_resized.jpg 20151007_233049_resized.jpg 20151007_233139_resized.jpg Hard to see in the pictures but I can make out a 1972 very very vague. I compared it to another 1972 and the numbers seem to be shifted up to right of the coin.

Upvote 0

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, In what context was it discovered?......

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, In what context was it discovered?......
Me accidentally dumping a customer wrapped roll and over the place instead of into my hand believe it or not haha It's so weird because the wear is so even on the coin, I can't see how somebody would have grinded it down or even used acid to corrode it away because the luster is there still. It's very very smooth. I'm stumped.

Last edited:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pmd, there is no way a coin was striked like that.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Pmd, there is no way a coin was striked like that.

You are likely correct and it is likely a man made error to resemble a "Capped Die Strike"! Most often a Capped Die Strike results in the coin coming out looking like a Bottle Cap and there is no evidence of such on the O.P.'s coin. Combine that with the fact that much of Kennedy's bust sits higher (raised) on the coin when it should have been almost entirely obliterated during the second striking (which would be the first striking for the coin that was fed into the Striking Chamber on top of another struck coin) and that the Reverse should have a much stronger strike and at the same time, should have some distortion because of spreading due to the extra pressure exerted on the planchet/coin due to the extra planchet in the Striking Chamber when it was struck the second time. There is also evidence (slight railroad rim) that the Reverse of the O.P.'s coin was struck slightly outside of the Collar but this has no real relevance to the condition of the Obverse of the coin.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread