First post..curious shipwrecks?

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon everyone,

I have just joined this forum after browsing it quite often. Im a soon to graduate geologist but am taking a year or two off to locate wrecks as I have done much research in my 5 years of college...when education wasnt interfering with my real learning, I did other research haha
I found two legends and I havent been able to find anything about them..

I am from the Cocoa Beach area and have been all of my life and went to school in southern florida and havent heard a single thing on either of these..they go as follows

1)The area south of the Hillsboro Inlet to the Pompano Beach Pier has yielded artifacts over the years. Cob coins and a 17th-century Spanish cannon have been found here. There are many stories of gold and silver coins having been found here in the 1950's. The coins may have come from one of the 1715 Fleet vessels, or possibly from a vessel that had salvaged the fleet and was returning to Havana. Recently a dredge at the inlet has dredged up coins from the 1715 period.

2) Boca Raton, located south of Palm Beach, is the site of two separate treasures. Blackbeard buried $2,000 in casks near the Boca Raton Inlet. These casks may be in submerged caverns. When a Spanish galleon was wrecked near here, the surviving seamen saved a large chest and buried it on the beach at Boca Raton."

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Good afternoon everyone,

I have just joined this forum after browsing it quite often. Im a soon to graduate geologist but am taking a year or two off to locate wrecks as I have done much research in my 5 years of college...when education wasnt interfering with my real learning, I did other research haha
I found two legends and I havent been able to find anything about them..

I am from the Cocoa Beach area and have been all of my life and went to school in southern florida and havent heard a single thing on either of these..they go as follows

1)The area south of the Hillsboro Inlet to the Pompano Beach Pier has yielded artifacts over the years. Cob coins and a 17th-century Spanish cannon have been found here. There are many stories of gold and silver coins having been found here in the 1950's. The coins may have come from one of the 1715 Fleet vessels, or possibly from a vessel that had salvaged the fleet and was returning to Havana. Recently a dredge at the inlet has dredged up coins from the 1715 period.

2) Boca Raton, located south of Palm Beach, is the site of two separate treasures. Blackbeard buried $2,000 in casks near the Boca Raton Inlet. These casks may be in submerged caverns. When a Spanish galleon was wrecked near here, the surviving seamen saved a large chest and buried it on the beach at Boca Raton."

Fisheye, The last sentence in the above post may be the wreck you found at that location. You might want to PM the Gentleman that wrote the post.:skullflag:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay welcome to the shipwreck forum, it is good to see that there are still some young people out there that haven`t been taught to hate treasure hunters because it is not politically correct.
If I may though and with out sounding to much like a dad, you should finish school and get some experience in your field right away. Then when you have established your career and gained allot of diving experience on wrecks you will be able to afford the lawyers you will need to treasure hunt underwater.
Good luck in your endeavours,
ZDD

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisheye, The last sentence in the above post may be the wreck you found at that location. You might want to PM the Gentleman that wrote the post.:skullflag:

There was a gentleman who found this wreck? Please give me his contact information, I would be greatly appreciative

Diverdave - haha thank you sir, I am just taking a breather..five years of a difficult degree wears ya ot pretty good. My cousin and uncle are geologists and I can go work with them anytime and most of the doctorate profs at school are very fond of me so I have all sorts of help there and Ive got some experience under my belt.

Way I figure it, Im going to have to fund myself somehow because people dont tend to give out free money without a return..so I can make it a weekend hobby..Geologists have odd hour careers anyway. My diver/nuerobiologist buddy and marine biologist buddy are going to take breathers after their masters programs and help me locate stuff.

young team of scientists haha

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
cracker, if you can make a go at it as a geologist and keep your hobby in that arena, I would highly recommend it. The shipwreck industry is fraught with legal entanglements and has changed drastically since most of those treasure books were written. Gold prospecting, on the other hand, has no legal hurdles and you can keep whatever you find.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ou8acracker2,

Did you get your info out of a paperback book printed in florida before 1992? Written by Frank Hudson.If so,all the info in it is bogus

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions