FIRST REAL HUNT OF THE YEAR

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I don't have to tell anybody on the east coast just how terrible this winter has been. Lots of my new sites are still buried in snow and the others are still frozen. I told my crew that we were going to start working four ten hour days and taking three day weekends. Today was beautiful and sunny but I had a bunch of errands to do. Finally around 4 I was able to get to the one site that's a little bit thawed out. This site is about dead last on my list but after 4 or 5 months I couldn't wait to get there.
My first decent find of the day was a beautifully shaped axe head of some sort. I believe it may have been used for wooden shingles but am sure one of the fine folks on here will straighten me out with id. This was found in an area that I found a couple of early 1800s LCs and am assuming that this would be of similar age. I absolutely love the shape of this big nasty hunk of rusty iron :-)

image-281174295.jpg

Most of this site is still frozen so I walked toward the water to a spot that gets sun most of the day. I got a deep signal and dug down about 10 or. 11" inches. All I could see was big round disc with a green patina in the hole. Thought for sure it was an old coin and was pretty psyched. Pulled it out and it had a gold colored face. I had no idea what it was at first but new the patina and depth pointed to something with some decent age.
Had to take off after that and when I got home and gave the back of my round item a bit of a cleaning I could see that there used to be a shank there. So if this indeed a button ( which I assume it must be) it's the biggest button easily that I've ever found. Even bigger than the Tombac I found. The little round designs on the front are made up of several little tiny dimples. I would very much appreciate if anyone has a clue about potential age of this crazy round item. :-)

image-1758036286.jpg

image-1758036286.jpg

image-847513245.jpg

image-2941103038.jpg

image-3525865704.jpg

It was so nice to get out for a bit and it made it even better when I saw 6 mature bald eagles flying around together. Two of them would not separate and flew wing to wing together the whole time. Very cool to see. Sorry bout the pics but they were up there

image-1834407723.jpg

Upvote 10

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
better than staying home and watching the Sox lose

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
13 Stars on that flat button. Could be a Revolutionary War era political button. Nice hatchet, hopefully someone can help you date it.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dandy button. It would be cool if it had some sort of political/Revolutionary war connection as Oxbowbarefoot alluded to above. Unfortunately I don't have the expertise to say one way or the other. Congrats on the great hunt. :thumbsup:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on getting to hunt. I know you've been itching to. It makes it really hard to see the nice finds members have made while we NorthEasterners have had to wait, but it looks like your patience was rewarded. I hope the ID is right on it being a Revolutionary War era button.:coffee2:

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't get too excited yet, I'm no expert on those. I was hypothesizing it could be a political button because of its resemblance to some that I have seen. I'm sure someone will be able to give you more accurate feedback.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
13 Stars on that flat button. Could be a Revolutionary War era political button. Nice hatchet, hopefully someone can help you date it.
I hadn't made that connection but that would be incredible. That time period and the significance of it is easily my favorite time in history. Thank you for your comment. Just the thought of that possibility is very exciting to me

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just noticed that blown up if you connect the dots it makes one big 6 point star as well.

image-3998241056.jpg

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I wish someone would identify the darn thing cause now I'm excited too and want to know!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I wish someone would identify the darn thing cause now I'm excited too and want to know!
I'm with ya there! First interesting button I've found :-)

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About time you went digging :laughing7:

Looks like a great day !!

Very nice old axe..can,t help ya on a date . That button sure is interesting !!!!

Would be too cool if it was indeed REV WAR related....If you get no reply on the ID by morning ..ask Iron Patch to take a look...If it is REV WAR he will know.

I,m curious to know also...well done !!!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Ahab8; Nice Button there. The dimples are meant to represent the stars. If you count them you will notice there are 13 stars to represent the 13 Original Colonies. Hence I'd date it to the1770 - 1790's era. Sweet find. PEACE:RONB

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you got out...and to think that I have been complaining about the bad weather we've been having.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Ahab8; Nice Button there. The dimples are meant to represent the stars. If you count them you will notice there are 13 stars to represent the 13 Original Colonies. Hence I'd date it to the1770 - 1790's era. Sweet find. PEACE:RONB
Wow thanks Barker. Great symbolism on that dandy. I'm psyched to find my first interesting button.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About time you went digging :laughing7: Looks like a great day !! Very nice old axe..can,t help ya on a date . That button sure is interesting !!!! Would be too cool if it was indeed REV WAR related....If you get no reply on the ID by morning ..ask Iron Patch to take a look...If it is REV WAR he will know. I,m curious to know also...well done !!!
Hello there Friend. Yes I suppose it is about time I got out. Some of us have to work and can't spend 7 days a week digging up Rev War buttons at the nude beach like you. Rough life ya got there bro :-) I'm just jealous! Yeah I'm really digging the shape of that axe head and that button is getting more interesting all the time. Amazed how much gilt remains on it after over 200 years

Chuxter

Jul 29, 2013
Wow! Nice finds Abe! We're finally thawing out here in the Midwest, glad to see it's about go time for you too. HH and keep the great finds coming. -Chuck

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still awesome finds!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds man! I love that button! It'll be interesting to see if any other info surfaces on it.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds man! I love that button! It'll be interesting to see if any other info surfaces on it.
Thanks buddy, yeah I'm very curious now that the 13 stars symbolism was pointed out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions