Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
We to the Lost River and then Tunnell Brook in NH today, I don't think I will try to do 6 hours of panning along with a 3 hour drive each way in a single day! When I tried to get out of the car BOTH my legs cramped up, doesn't help that I have bad arthritis in both knees!
Found lots of Garnets but no gold, although I keep hoping since I was basically concentrating the dirt and dumping it is my 5 gallon bucket to bring home, only panned a couple pans down, will work it tomorrow.

OMG I never realized what hard work panning is, first getting down to the river with the gear and not killing myself, second trying to dig down with a shovel in a rock garden. Couldn't get down too far, although I tried.
However I had fun and my wife had fun, she found a beautiful 2 pound conglomerate with sheets of mica, really nice.

I think from now on I will spend the night at a campground, there are plenty up in the National Forest and also Twin Rivers. THe wife asked what I want for Christmas, I told her a sluice!

DSC00707.jpg

DSC00706.jpg

DSC00705.jpg

DSC00704.jpg

Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes the real treasure is spending time on the creek with family. Beautiful area and good health and happy hunting to you

lowctoy

Jan 16, 2012
Central California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worst day digging is still better than a day at work,but be careful that fever will get you just like me, have fun and take care.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that i'm back up from the floor from laughing, welcome to prospecting! Most of us went thru the same thing. That is a good looking creek you're in. I would
suggest you classify down one more increment(maybe 1/8" or 20 mesh) until you find the size of gold common to that creek. Your creek looks just fine for
sluicing at this point in the season. And finally, I can see a large oblong boulder tilted up against the right bank about 50 yards downstream - that's where i would look next time(downstream side). Hang in there, and thanks for posting the beautiful pics.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the feast/famine world a mining-great isn't it because at night visions of nuggets,instead of sugar plums,dances through our heads. Better luck next time-John

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the big thing is that I actually found something my wife enjoy's also. I tried to get her into shooting, but the only time she would want to use a gun is if she caught me running around. She enjoys rock hounding and loves the show Gold Fever. She likes shinny things

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is said Edison made 1000 lightbulbs that didn't work. When asked if he failed he just replied: No, I just found 1000 ways to not make a light bulb.

Fullpan's 2 suggestions are good ones.

Enjoy the ride.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Ben. Did someone tell you it would be easy? Also, you had to know NH gold would be hard to find. Keep at it. You'll find it. Its rarety makes it worth it! Don't give up! Try this... hand-pick ALL the larger rocks and pebbles out of the hole. Secure the shovel in the hole then, using a smaller trowel, scrape the sand onto the shovel. That yeller stuff likes to fall out of the sand QUICKLY when trying to push the shovel through! TTC

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you come back home after a day of prospecting, and your not sore, you've been slacking off and not doing it right. For me, every time at the end of a day of hard digging, when I crawl, and I mean crawl, into my truck I say Thank You God, then I know I've given it all I had. There is no expensive piece of furniture made that feels better than my truck seat. Good luck with your gold hunting. It's like a fever you can't get rid of.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
If you come back home after a day of prospecting, and your not sore, you've been slacking off and not doing it right. For me, every time at the end of a day of hard digging, when I crawl, and I mean crawl, into my truck I say Thank You God, then I know I've given it all I had. There is no expensive piece of furniture made that feels better than my truck seat. Good luck with your gold hunting. It's like a fever you can't get rid of.

Well I did it half right, I was able to slowly walk to my car carrying a couple buckets of concentrate although I had to stop every few yards and put them down and catch my breath and rest my muscles, they were only about 60 pounds each. It was heaven to sit in the car and I also got most of the way home before my leg started to cramp up, the last 45 minutes I was massaging my right leg as I drove and then couldn't get out of the car I was so cramped up.
So even though I may not have found any gold (lots of Garnets though) I had a great time!

When I got home and started panning the cons today, my middle son came out and said "you only brought back 2 buckets? You should have brought more!" He has the fever as well :icon_thumright:

Going on a mineral trip next Saturday for smoky quartz. Doing that for the wife as she wants to try it, then back to the rivers in a couple weeks.

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your getting cramps in your legs it might mean your not taking in enough water or other liquids. Try Gator Aid or other such products to replace the electrolytes you are losing. Cramps that soon after exertion is some times a warning sign.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig DEEPER!

Sorry but the gold is a lot deeper than most want to dig for. Get down to the bedrock for best results. Bedrock is the solid layer (sheet) of rock that tells you when you've hit bottom. That's where the gold has to stop settling because it can go no further. It's also where the most and the largest placer gold is found period.

Right now it looks like you are just prospecting the upper layer of gravel (surface gravel), you wont find much gold there if any. Sometimes you even have to dig past a layer of hardpack also known as false bedrock to get to the gold depending on when the gold was originally deposited.

Try using a hoe to rake away the overburden before digging, Sometimes you have to move away the large rocks by hand one at a time until you can use the shovel and or hoe.

I welded together a scoop and then welded onto it a shovel handle that works great for scooping out gravel from a deep hole under water without loosing paydirt, also works great for raking away overburden........
scoop.jpg scoop1.jpg

Also to dig through those cobbles a spade works better than that wide blade shovel you are using.
If you hit hardpack (conglomerate) the work really starts.... It takes a long pointed wrecking bar and lots of energy to break it up.

Read this for more info on finding gold in New Hampshire. http://des.nh.gov/organization/commissioner/pip/factsheets/geo/documents/geo-1.pdf

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Goodyguy
I agree that I didn't get that deep, got down about 1 foot. in the next stream over I saw where someone had dredged and there was a 4x4 foot hole 4-5 feet deep and no bedrock, so I think it is deep in this area. But being my first real time I am learning and appreciating all the advice I have gotten and am getting!
I am hooked that is for sure! I have been thinking about a sluice, 3 foot is max in the Nat. Forest, but wonder if I should continue to go with the pan until I find some gold and learn what I am doing.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodyguy
I agree that I didn't get that deep, got down about 1 foot. in the next stream over I saw where someone had dredged and there was a 4x4 foot hole 4-5 feet deep and no bedrock, so I think it is deep in this area. But being my first real time I am learning and appreciating all the advice I have gotten and am getting!
I am hooked that is for sure! I have been thinking about a sluice, 3 foot is max in the Nat. Forest, but wonder if I should continue to go with the pan until I find some gold and learn what I am doing.

Panning is the tool you use to find a pay streak.... Once the paystreak is found that's when you go for production IE: sluice, highbanker, trommel, dredge, etc.

No use doing all that shoveling and classifying into a sluice or other production equipment until you are on the gold.

You may also want to go to an area where the bedrock is not so deep.

GG~

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not many people get gold their first time out, it took me years. :)

That area looks very nice and I can see in your 4th picture that someone has made two small damns, probably for a sluice.

You might like a Bazooka gold trap sluice a lot because you dont have to classify, you just put your material right in and angle/high flow does the rest.

Keep it up and keep having fun. :)

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
The last picture shows a bush growing in the center of the stream. I would be panning the gravel from the downstream side of that outgrowth. That bush will slow the flow and let heavies drop off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread