Indiana Jon

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2015
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, ProPointer, & ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time posting here, but anyways I finally found the time to get down to my parents house in the country to do some metal detecting. My main goal was to find a class ring of a classmate in high school that he had lost playing football in the yard. But my dad had also told me several times before I got into MD'ing that there was a mid/late 1800's road that goes through a portion of their property. After some research of old maps, I was able to confirm that this was the case and the road did pass through there. So given this my fiancee and I made it down for a Saturday hunt, starting by looking for the ring. She was swinging and I was digging, when after about only 30 minutes and 5 holes we found the ring!
IMG_6071[1].JPG
IMG_6076[1].JPG
IMG_6078[1].JPG
With the day already a success we proceeded onto the old road, forgoing the remainder of the yard for another day. Once on the road the 250 was going off like crazy, and knowing I would be looking for relics I dug everything. Although we didn't get to search as much area as hoped, we had great luck! 2 whole horseshoes, 2 half horseshoes, 2 bolts of different sizes, older tabs, wire, what looks to be a pry bar, and a yet unidentified piece all in a a little over 400 linear feet down one swath of the road (Much more to come I'm hoping). All the rusted pieces are still soaking in their vinegar bath with intermittent scrubbing, and the ring required nothing more than a quick rinse with water after nearly 10 years in the ground. (On the other hand, I'm guessing the items from the road are all anywhere between 100-150 years old)
IMG_6073[1].JPG
Best day detecting, so far that is of course! We will be returning as soon as possible to continue down the old road! Enjoy the Freedom!
IMG_6075[1].JPG

Upvote 17

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding the ring so fast. :icon_thumleft: Nice bunch of relics and good luck on future hunts! Oh, and welcome to TNet. :hello:
HH

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job on finding the ring. My number 1 wish list is finding and returning, haven't been able to do it yet but it sure is fun trying anyway..:laughing7:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and welcome to t-net. Sounds like a great place to hunt. Don't know the terrain but travels would often rest their horses at the base of a steep hill and sometimes camp there. Just a thought. I love seeing the old iron. keep us posted.

OP
OP
Indiana Jon

Indiana Jon

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2015
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, ProPointer, & ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! Yes we were very lucky to have found the ring so fast, just picked the right spot to start the hunt! My friend was very surprised to say the least when I got a hold of him in Texas. Can't wait to get back and continue searching the old road, it runs along near the top of a ridge through the woods. Thanks for the tips! Will have to talk with the neighbors for the bottom of the hill as the new gravel road (advanced right haha) splits the ridge on the old roads side. Also what would be a good thing to use on the relics once I've got them cleaned to preserve them from rusting again? Appreciate the welcome to TreasureNet, it's been a great resource for all things treasure hunting!

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Jon! Lets hops the road is paved with more gold...Brad

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wait till limitool sees your horeshoes !!!He's looking for a golden one !!great job on ring and welcome !!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and hunt - Congratulations! :occasion14:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what would be a good thing to use on the relics once I've got them cleaned to preserve them from rusting again?

My friend Charlie who does electrolysis on old rusted relics uses a coat of beeswax on his finished ones. I think he rubs it on then heats up the metal object in a low temp oven to let it absorb or soak in a bit.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Really great ring and nice relics. Congrats HH

Top Member Reactions