First Ring found while hunting in the water

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Bounty Hunter, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC_0137.JPG DSC_0143.jpg DSC_0144.jpg DSC_0145.jpg DSC_0139.jpg DSC_0137.jpg DSC_0144.jpg

Took the kids swimming at one of the beaches i swam at as i grew up so I metal detected the beach and water while they had fun. Found some interesting targets including my first ring found under the water while detecting. It is stamped Sterling, tarnished heavily, but still pretty. The pattern looks pretty old and the stone I think is Onyx. Also of interest is the San Juan Capistrano medallion. It was gleaming in the scoop and I thought gold at first but pretty sure it is brass. Key looks pretty old and has a lot of encrustations pattern looks familiar. If anyone recognizes the pattern let me know. Just as I found the medallion and some nickels one of my kids cut her foot on the ladder and the hunt ended. Look forward to going back.
HH

Upvote 19

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the old finds!:occasion14:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, congrats on the ring

doc brown

Oct 30, 2010
central NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Max, delta 4000, Makro racer 2, Simplex +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unusual ring - medallion - key and coins "congrats" to you on your finds, would like to see the ring when it is cleaned up - anyway thank you for sharing your pictures and story and I wish you many more great finds.

Texas ED

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the ring and relic finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
C

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks once I get it cleaned up will share the after picture!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations.........a nice assortment of finds!! Looking forward to seeing the ring after the cleaning.........it's sure to be outstanding!!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring really looks interesting...and old. Would like to know if you get any markings off it or can ID the stone.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the ring. Can't wait to see it cleaned up.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The ring and the medal have some age to them for sure. Very nice. Question, are you using a land machine for water?

Congrats

OP
OP
C

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring really looks interesting...and old. Would like to know if you get any markings off it or can ID the stone.
Only marking is Sterling that you can kind of make out in last picture. On the back side of the band two incised arrows are there that I find interesting. The more I keep looking at it sure has a old look to it. Like your movie quote/picture. I live about a mile away from where they filmed in the hotel.
HH

OP
OP
C

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ring and the medal have some age to them for sure. Very nice. Question, are you using a land machine for water?

Congrats
Thanks, yes using a land machine ever so carefully in the water. Looking forward to getting a waterproof one within the next year to get at what must be some good targets out deeper. Ring was found relatively shallow, maybe a foot deep of water and about 10 inches down. Medallion and nickels were found just as I went deeper about 3 1/2 feet or so 8 inches into the sand. Enjoy looking at your posts from Port Huron. I visited your area two years back for the first time and really liked the lake and beaches. The beach I go to has probably been in use from about 1850 in modern times. I have also found arrowheads in the water and supposedly a small french trading post dating into 1700s was located at a beach about quarter of a mile away from this one. Never know what you are going to find.
HH

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im still looking for my first decent ring out of the water. So far I've found nothing but junk rings. Nice finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread