First Roosie For 2015!

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Had a nice time in the park. If I find anything well...it's wheat pennies...geez...another four for the record(1916, 1917D, 1935 & 1942). Maybe that's nothing for some of you, but I like to keep my wheats because of the context they were found in. Maybe after I get a thousand of them...I'll just start throwing them in a jar. Also found the little buckle and the .32 Cal S&W casing. I left the park after a few hours and went to another one further north in town. The area used to be cornfields way back, was pretty bleak back then. I never found anything that 'used' to be there of note using historic maps. However, I do find interesting things there from time to time. The 1961 Roosie was the second silver I had found in this one particular area(I'll be returning for sure). I generally, for a long time, avoided parks that I knew weren't 'old'...but just because it wasn't the local hot spot 100 years ago, doesn't mean good things aren't to be found...so, I've had to break myself from this choosey-pickey habit. I also found the key at the second park.

Lastly, I decided to post a before and after cleaning photo. No, I don't over clean my finds...I like to keep them a little weathered looking. Silver is a different story...it must shine :) I have a certain way that I remove the green crust though...probably not safe for key dates, but anything else should be fine. Everyone knows that hard green crust you just can't 'scrub' off right? Well, I clean them in peroxide...several long baths followed with rubbing with a toothpick(got that from someone on here...can't remember) in between baths. Then I dry them and take a penny or nickel on edge and press and roll it over the green crust on the coin. When I say 'on edge' I mean the flat of the edge...not the sharp rim. Press and roll with a lot of pressure...you'll hear it crunch and crackle. I can usually remove almost all of the crust this way. You must press and roll the edge across the coin being cleaned and do NOT rub or scrape with the edge. You'll see the crust buckle and crumble...then you just brush it away. Now, if you are able to remove it this way...you'll probably in some cases still have green staining on the coin...but the detail should be in tact(if it's in good shape under the crust..not always the case). So far this has worked for me well enough without any noticeable damage to the surface of the coin. I used to use a dull exacto tip. I'd press the blade onto the edge of a patch of green crust and it would 'snap' off...but this was letting the blade slam down on the coin surface and leaving divots..stupid on my part. Anyway, thought I'd share that. Don't do this to coins you'd consider key dates...I haven't found any yet, so I'm safe lol.

That's it. Thanks for looking.

GL&HH

Attachments

• IMG_4626.JPG
    IMG_4626.JPG
    774.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4628.JPG
    IMG_4628.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
Upvote 4

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice day out!, nothing wrong with some wheats and a roosie!
congrats!!

I clean my coins too if theyre just common dates

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread